With all this console-talk lately.. Essential games for GameCube?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Poff, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

Apart from Metroid Prime, what other cool games are there?
    I've liked the earlier F-Zero games, so I guess F-Zero GX is ok.
    Zelda - of course! Few games beat it.

So what other good games are there for the GameCube?

Oh.. and.. ahem.. I kind of have a thing for Mario Party, do you? *blush* :eek:

2. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Well Gamecube hasn't been doing so well lately in my opinion (one of the few reason I am switching to Xbox). But it's coming back if you like classic nintendo games like Metroid or Zelda. There is Mario Pary Six coming out as I can see you are into that. You know, the classic stuff.

3. Poff thread starter macrumors 65816

Poff

Yeah, I know what you mean. Maybe they've overfocused on kiddie-games lately. But some of the games coming out now show that the Cube is capable of better graphics than people thought in the beginning.. which is one of the reasons I'm considering it.

and, yeah.. A 11 year old boy might also play a bit on it, so if anyone has suggestions to cool games for that age aswell, go ahead! :)

4. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

The graphics and frame rates on the game cube rock. I remember going from GTA on the ps2 to metroid on the GC, and i was like holy crap! The GC was much much much more smooth.

5. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

It might help to know what types of games you like. I just got a GameCube (I like the retro-games and I have small children so it made the most sense) and I olnly have Mario Kart Double Dash (came with it), but I really like it. I look forward to getting a few more. I am poor, so it's the bargain bin for me. I try to look at the latest and greatest so I don't get too depressed. Here is my list:

Metroid Prime
    Zelda
    Football (Madden preferably)
    Some stuff for the kids like Super Monkey Ball or something

6. BubbaJones macrumors regular

BubbaJones

Freedom Fighters - Squad based game play. I've never played anything like it berfore.

Metroid Prime (Have not played Echos yet, but That would probably make the list)

Resedent Evil 4 - Check out the videos/screen shots. Going to be a killer game.

Timesplitters 2 - As close to a Halo as we GCN owners can get. Look out for TS3 comming soon.

Mystic Heros is a fun multiplayer game. Like Dynasty Warriors on the PS2, but more cartoonie.

Gauntlet is another good multiplayer game. Graphics are not great, but gameplay is fun.

Mario Kart

7. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Tales of Symphonia is a good RPG game. Its long as hell too.

8. Poff thread starter macrumors 65816

Poff

I'll probably buy the package that comes with Mario Kart, but I'll (hopefully) afford to get one more game.

Platforms are always great, aswell as tactical games.
    I guess you don't get much strategy-games for GC in the form of Sim City, Capitalism and so on.. And no Command&Conquer kind of games either?

I've never really played much sports-games, but I guess football-games can be fun. I was thinking about FIFA2005. What's that Madden-thing you're talking about, kgarner?

Since I probably won't afford (or need for that matter) more than one extra game in a while, it would probably be good for the second game not to be rated Teen(13yrs). This is so this kid I wrote about can play it aswell - but it has to be playable for me who is 22. (Seems I'm going to get a step-brother, so I see it as a responsibility to take care of the lad, since my father lives in the same city as me.)

Oh and Need for Speed Underground 2 should be an option, although it seems to be extremely high on the "cool"-factor.

9. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

OK excluding the ones you have already mentioned:

SuperMonkeyBall preferably 2, although I did find it a lot easier than the original, is a great game and the party games make it last.
    Talking of party games Donkey Konga is great too, especially when drunk with friends and a couple or more sets of bongos!
    Mario Golf is surprisingly good, a game you can play on and on.
    Final Fantasy is also fun to play multiplayer, but you do all need gameboy advances.

10. chameeeleon macrumors 6502

I bought a Gamecube exclusively for Super Mario Sunshine (which I thought rocked, despite the bad rep it's earned among Mario fans). If you're into platformers AT ALL, I can guarantee you'll have at least a bit of fun in Mario. Games that I've ended up purchasing since are Super Smash Bros. Melee (a must if you have friends over a lot), Mario Kart (the best racing game I've ever played apart from SSX Tricky, which is another awesome option although much better on PS2 due to the controller) and Mario Tennis. I'd say basically anything with Mario's face on it is going to give you some serious enjoyment. And finally, (if you can get your hands on it) The Zelda Mega Collection or w/e it's called rocks.

11. Poff thread starter macrumors 65816

Poff

Wow! Thanks for all the replies! Seems some people have Gamecubes after all!

Mario Kart seems very cool. Reminds me of Wacky Wheels. (don't know if it ever came to the Mac. Did it? Great game!)

12. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

Don't forget the stealth and action games. Splinter Cell is made for GC and is awsome. I also recommend Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes. That game is awsome with the MGS2 graphics.

13. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

How did I forget to add Mario Golf to my list! :eek: That is going to be the first game i buy and then the others will follow (providing their is sufficient funds), but Mario Golf will be a definite purchase.

14. Poff thread starter macrumors 65816

Poff

Mario Golf seems wild! Those Nintendo-people have a tendency of adding that sick mario-twist to all kinds of games.

Now that Paper Mario 2 has come out, I wonder how the reviews will be when more people play it. Seems like yet another crazy game!! :D

15. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

I played a version of Mario Golf (or I wanted too, I can't remember now) for the old Super Nintendo. It was really cool and when I saw that they had a Mario Golf for the GameCube I knew it would be mine. I'm a golf nut anyway, but that one looks too fun to pass up.

16. punkmac macrumors regular

good GameCube games

Starfox Adventures, for the kids, is nice challenging game that's rock solid. My 5 and 2 1/2 year olds love it.

I like the Resident Evil games also.

I.

17. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

I've only heard it mentioned once and that was as a "kid's game."

Super Monkey Ball (2).

Yes, it's cartoony monkeys rolling around in balls, and yes, the concept is simple, but it's probably the best game I own for GC. The single player is challenging, and the multiplayer rivals Super Smash Bros.

Which brings me to my next choice, Super Smash Bros.
    If you're going to do any multiplayer gaming, get this.

Super Mario Sunshine is kinda short, but it's really fun.

Metroid Prime is fun, but pretty hard.

SSX Tricky and SSX3. Probably my favorite games on GameCube. These games are amazing. I guess if you hate snowboarding games, they're not as fun, but I'm not a big snowboarding fan in the least and I think they're great.
    Tricky leans a little more to the "absurd" side of things, whereas SSX3 is a little more realistic, but both walk the line between the two wonderfully. You won't regret either purchase.

18. Poff thread starter macrumors 65816

Poff

Advance Wars

Wow! Have you seen the screenshots of Advance Wars that will be released for GameCube in 2005? Amazing! This is definitely something very different from the Gameboy Advance version, both in graphics and gameplay! I actually haven't seen any game on any platform with that kind of gameplay before! You command a set of armies. (soldiers, choppers, tanks and so on). It has been turn-based earlier, but this is real-time in almost 1st person view. Amazing! (and who said GameCube didn't have good graphics?)

http://www.nintendo.com/screenshotgallery?gameid=38f04410-6efd-4c04-98f5-d3a5bca466f2

Gamecube version:
    [​IMG]

Gameboy Advance:
    [​IMG]

Only problem is that it's not really suitable for kids anymore.. but they will still get it because they have played an earlier version before.. :(

19. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

20. mms macrumors 6502a

I see by football you think of what we Americans refer to as soccer. Football in America, which he was talking about, is the violent game that Americans enjoy, consisting mainly of 400 pound linemen bashing heads together and the guy throwing the oddly shaped ball into the air. Madden is one of the football games released in the U.S.

21. An naoscaire macrumors newbie

Right,

I've a Gamecube and I think its the bees knees.

My collection thus far is:

Need For Speed: Underground
    P.N. 03
    Metroid Prime
    Super Monkey Ball
    Super Mario Sunshine
    Zelda (wind waker)
    Soul Calibur 2
    Sonic Heroes
    Pikmin

Any of these games are going to make for hours of entertainment with the possible exception of

P.N.03 because it... it's just useless. I dunno why. Anyone who has it also generally has this opinion of it.

and

Sonic Heroes because I've got an issue with the camera angles on it. You get into a groove of powering through a series of loop-the-loops at high speed and then 0.0005 seconds after you come out of the last loop the camera suddenly switches from an isometric/side view to a rear view without adequate time to rotate the control stick to suit. The upshot being that you suddenly change direction and dash off the side of the platform into (normally) certain doom. This happens frequently and interrupts (for me) the flow of the game. Believe me, this will cause you to stay away from the game for long periods of time.

22. DarkNovaMatter macrumors member

Ah the joys that is the cube, I will have to search through my collection to get a few more ideas, but here are some-

-Metroid Prime
    -Metroid Prime 2
    -Pikmin
    -Pikmin 2
    -Metal Arms: Glitch in the system (yes I know this isn't a cube specific game- it is available on Xbox and PS2 but is a verry good game)
    -Ikaruga (surprised no one said this one- verry nice verticle scroller)
    -Mario Kart:Double dash (addictive, verry addictive)
    -Supermonkeyball 1 & 2 (seems simple but also very fun)
    -Timesplitters 2 (also available on other consoles, but good if you don't have it- and also #3 is comming out soon)
    Star Wars Rouge Squadron 2 & 3 (verry nice in all things)

23. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

NCAA 2005 Football

It isn't GameCube-only, but it is really good.

24. Poff thread starter macrumors 65816

Poff

Yeah, I forgot about that.. Then it's FIFA for me I guess! :)

How do you like Zelda Wind Waker? It seems to have a kind of "cartoonish" feel, compared to previous versions and also Four Swords that's just come out. Is it still as fun?

When you've rounded it, can you get any more fun out of it?

How much does the graphic differ on Metroid Prime 1 and 2?
    And what is this Pikmin-thing people keep talking about??

25. DrNeroCF macrumors 6502

Metroid Prime 2 is pretty much a must buy for any GameCube owner, even the multiplayer is incredibly fun. Off the top of my head, Mario Kart great multiplayer game, and Smash Brothers Melee undoubtedly clocks in as one of my most played games, ever. TimeSplitters 2 is a must if you're a fan of Goldeneye (or you can wait for TS 3, coming out soon). If you want some non-kiddy games, Resident Evil: Remake is good, F-Zero you can get dirt cheap, but it's insanely hard (but even more fun than hard). Soul Calibur II is, as far as I'm concerned, the best 3d fighting game ever made, SSX 3 is great for over-the-top sports, Viewtiful Joe 2 for crazy sidescrolling fighting, Prince of Persia I or II for 3d platforming, Mario Tennis or Mario Golf for their respective sports, Pikmin 2 if you're into the whole 'command an army thing,' Mario Sunshine's pretty fun, and of course there's Star Fox: Assault, Resident Evil 4, and the new Zelda to look forward to.

If you can't tell, I'm a big Nintendo fan, heh. Gamecube's an all around great system, especially when you want play multiplayer with anyone, even younger kids.