Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eAspenwood

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2005
USA
Oh, Chrispy, you crazy fool - of course you wouldn't go with a dell pc. Why? cause they're terrible. period. I also remember all the angst and tribulation that went into your pb fiasco, and you wouldn't put up with it unless you saw the overall benefits of the mac platform. Besides, who's going to buy a pc in 11 months anyways, witht the dual boot mactels coming out.

I'm 10 shiner bocks in to a nice state of mind right now, so i may be on the "over" side of zealous.

Happy 4th!

-- J.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
eAspenwood said:
Oh, Chrispy, you crazy fool - of course you wouldn't go with a dell pc. Why? cause they're terrible. period. I also remember all the angst and tribulation that went into your pb fiasco, and you wouldn't put up with it unless you saw the overall benefits of the mac platform. Besides, who's going to buy a pc in 11 months anyways, witht the dual boot mactels coming out.

I'm 10 shiner bocks in to a nice state of mind right now, so i may be on the "over" side of zealous.

Happy 4th!

-- J.

A Happy 4th to you as well :) You bring up a good point about the mactels in the future making the decision even easier. I will stick with my 1.6GHz G5 Powermac and Radeon 9800 video card for now. I graduate from college in a year and if I land a good job then sometime in the year after I graduate I will probably upgrade to a new mactel system. PCs are cheap but I just love my macs too much to give them up :D

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
I use macs mainly for the OS i'll admit that....If there was ever a linux distribution with the looks and ease of use that you have with OSX i would most certainly make myself a nice Rig or buy a notebook......

The other thing about macs is there build quality and design which i love....

ShadOW :)

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Personally I moved to OS X from Linux/BSD on x86 (I've never really been a Windows user outside of work) I would of never considered a Pre-OS X Mac, so for me OS X is the reason I buy Apple hardware. There is no x86 PC cheap enough for me to consider using Windows, Linux, or BSD again.

IMHO if you can compare Windows and OS X and not see a problem with your own logic you may as well buy a PC.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I have seen specs the same but with a 200GB Serial ATA hard drive for $600 from Gateway. Later they increased the price to $700 and gave out a $200 dollar rebate.

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
ClarkeB said:
Oh, and if I ever tried to run Adaware, I would no longer be able to use the internet, unless I ran system restore. Yes, the program DELETED the internet.
:eek: OMG :eek:
So it was you!
Put it back immediatly!

:D

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2005
GodBless said:
Especially when Dell comes on in 3 hours and transfers you again for another 3 hour wait. :rolleyes: Good joke.

This is what happened to me when Dell sold me a faulty laptop. The first day I was on the phone I wasn't ready for the 3 hour wait just to talk to someone and I had to hang up after 2 hours of waiting on the phone. The next day I was on the phone for 6 hours until they finally directed me to someone who actually knew how to deal with the problem. I sent my computer back and will never do anything with Dell again unless they do something totally different with their business model that helps me their customer. They didn't even give me a full refund by making me pay for the shipping and handling.

On the contrary Apple has been fast (I haven't been on the phone waiting for more than 25 minutes), friendly and knowledgeable with me.

Odd, I never waited more then half n hour for Dell.

Only problem is that they dont really speak english...

Anyway, there good though. Not saying what they sell is that great, but the way they handle themselves is. I like the guts of there computers cause its really easy to open and take apart, etc.

Also, my Inspirion 8200 laptop was giving me a buzzing sensation on my palms, I wrote Dell an email, and I have a higher end model machine at my door in less then 2 weeks =)

Still love my mac mini though haha.

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2004
Chip NoVaMac said:
When I did a comparable config to my new iMac G5 20" I came up with $1889 with comparable specs. So much for PC's being so much cheaper.

I noticed something like that as well.

Also, for whoever said that the DELL Small Business section is cheaper than the Home section - look closely. The Small Business Dimension PCs (those are the desktops found in both Small Business and Home) do not include monitors, while the Home ones do (makes sense, since Home users usually want the full set, while Biz owners usually want to save as much $$ as possible and normally have spare monitors, and don't care about their employee's eyeballs so they just go with CRTs instead of LCDs ;)). So therefore, the Biz desktops are probably still somewhat cheaper, but I'm just pointing this out for you. They still might be missing more.

john_satc

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2005
B'ham Uk
Nope. That fact that my iBook looked so beautiful is the reason I bought it. I know it is really stupid, but I was drawn to the iBook for its beauty, and speant a total of 2 minutes playing with the OS - not really doing much - before buying it. I had no idea how to use the Mac OS X.
I know it is really stupid, but fashion concious people like me will be drawn to its simple beauty :)

admford

macrumors member
May 13, 2003
I personally wouldn't go for a Dell at all. I've had some bad experiance with the Inspiron 8100 series (replaced motherboard a month after buying it, speaker problems, two burnt out batteries which cost me 250 euros to replace while still under warrenty, and over all shoddy build quality).

If you want to go with a PC in the end, the best way to go is to build one yourself. Get some good components and a decent tower. Some Panaflo fans to keep it quiet. You'll spend a bit more than the Dell, but you'll get a better computer in the end. Plus, since you have a copy of Windows XP Pro, it should be easy for you to get it running pretty fast without spending too much.

On a personal note, I sold my homebuilt Athlon 64 system to get a used PowerMac G4 "Quicksilver" to build up. Currently it's a 733MHz system, 1.5GB of ram, flashed Radeon 9800 XT 256MB card from a PC in it, 558GB of HD space (Raid set on a SATA PCI card, still have room for two more disks), Pioneer DVR-109 burner, USB 2.0 card and Miglia PCI TV card. The system runs like a dream, though i'm gonna try to finish up the upgrades with a dual 1.8GHz G4 processor card and a beefed up PSU (probably a 500 watt model for PCs). In a sense I've downgraded to a 4 year old computer, but i've got less headaches with it and with some upgrades and modifications i've managed to make a PowerMac that would possibly give a G5 a run for it's money.

Yebot

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Sun Baked said:
If you like playing with the guts of the machine, go PC.

If you are sensitive to price and want the most bang for the buck, go PC.

PowerMacs have guts and they are fun to play with.

Bang for the buck may seem to favor the PC in the short term. But dang-it that Mac will still be singing 5 years from now whilst a new Dell will be hidden away in a basement closet in 24 months.

dona83

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
Kelowna, BC
ClarkeB said:
Oh, and if I ever tried to run Adaware, I would no longer be able to use the internet, unless I ran system restore. Yes, the program DELETED the internet.

It happened to my girlfriend too, what happened is that the spyware became the main kernel to the internet connection... Adaware deleted that spyware so the computer no longer had a network kernel thus it couldn't go on the net.

Microsoft Anti Spyware can restore the kernel, I think that's how I got it out, but it was a pain, took me two hours to clean her system last year.

She bought an iBook back in February to say the least. :)

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
I just wanted to let everyone know I am happily posting this on my 1.6GHz Powermac :) I'm glad I stayed with the mac... having a PC would just not be the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.