With amazon.com rebates should I buy a powerbook now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Chrispy, Sep 9, 2005.

  1. Chrispy macrumors 68020

    Chrispy

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2004
    Location:
    Avon, IN
    #1
    Hey all, I posted this in someone else's thread but figured I would not be a bum and just started my own. Here is the deal... I have a 1GB stick of RAM for a the current line of powerbooks and iBook sitting around (I bought it for use in a powerbook a month ago but I received two defective powerbooks in a row and decided to hold off for awhile). If the powerbooks are updated, I would imagine this ram would no longer be compatible. I would, no doubt, take a loss on the ram as I paid about $100ish dollars for it. Also, Amazon.com has a $125 rebate and no tax on the 12" super powerbooks (down from $150 they offered before). Not paying tax and having the rebate makes the 12" thru amazon $209 less than thru Apple (Non-edu pricing since I already bought something on EDU this year and sold it I can't do it twice). Even if a new PB does come out and the prices are dropped, will they drop more than $200? Also, I noticed the discount area's pricing is the same regardless of if you are looking as EDU or regular customer so you may not end up saving much over what the machines cost now even after a price drop for EDU customers. I am sure amazon will pull the rebate when the updates come and just drop the price for an instant rebate effect instead.

    My question, since I already have the ram and since amazon is offering such a rebate, should I just order from amazon now or should I still wait for the update? Just looking for some opinions. Thanks!
     
  2. nagromme macrumors G5

    nagromme

    Joined:
    May 2, 2002
    #2
    If you can wait, I'd wait--for Apple Expo, and then a few weeks after (since it may be that some stuff was delayed--thus the cancelled keynote). Then see if any new PBs appear and if they are worth it to you.

    If they aren't, then MAYBE you can snap up the old ones even cheaper than now. Of course if they sell down to none left, you've lost that gamble. But losing a gamble and getting a better PowerBook would sit OK with me :)

    And maybe you could sell the RAM if it didn't work in the new ones (which it might anyway).

    That's just my approach, though.
     
  3. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

    bodeh6

    Joined:
    May 18, 2005
    #3
    I would not definitely not get a Powerbook now. Wait exactly 11 days to see if anything new is announced. The 12" also will see the most updates if they do update them now. Expect at least a ATI 9600 64MB, gigabit ethernet, 512MB soldered on instead of 256MB for a max of 1.5GB like the new iBook.
     
  4. ITASOR macrumors 601

    ITASOR

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2005
    Location:
    Oneida, NY
    #4
    Just think, what if they start coming in black plastic?





    Then you'll wish you hurried up and bought one now! :D HAH! GO ALUMINUM!
     
  5. Lopez.T.H. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2005
    #5
    When is the Apple expo? I thought it was a few days ago but im still hearing stuff about it.
     
  6. Chrispy thread starter macrumors 68020

    Chrispy

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2004
    Location:
    Avon, IN
    #6
    I believe it starts September 20th
     

Share This Page