With Applecare+, do you think it is still necessary to use a case?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Trojita, Oct 7, 2011.

1. macrumors member

With Apple's Applecare+ plan do you think having a case is still necessary or are you going to go naked?

2. macrumors member

I think most people used a case to improve reception, but with the new iPhone this might not be an issue.

Still you will always drop your phone at least once in 2 years. So if you want the hassle then fine by you.

3. macrumors 68000

Blueline29

I always use a case just because I'd rather avoid having to replace the phone if at all possible (particularly after it's been jailbroken); I don't like going through that process any more often than necessary.

4. macrumors 68030

Taz Mangus

I think I am going to get AppleCare+ for my wife and I will get AppleCare for me. My wife has a habbit of dropping her phones. My plan is to get iWrap full body for both white iPhone 4S's. The phone is so beautiful I think it would be a shame to cover it up.

5. macrumors 6502a

Btrthnezr3

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I don't think regular AppleCare is available for the 4s

6. macrumors regular

When I read the fine print for Applecare+ it says "Every iPhone comes with one year of hardware repair coverage and 90 days of telephone technical support. AppleCare+ for iPhone extends repair coverage and technical support to two years from the original purchase date of your iPhone and adds coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage due to handling, each subject to a $49 service fee"... It says that it is available for the 4S. So I WILL be wearing a case with my phone.

7. pasipple, Oct 7, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011

macrumors 6502a

pasipple

Applecare+ also does not cover nornal wear, scratches, etc...the damages have to affect the performance of the device.

So...you need a case to prevent the most common damages...SCRATCHES...

Per Terms and Conditions:

Excludes...

4(v) Cosmetic damage to the Covered Equipment, including but not limited to scratches and dents, that do not otherwise affect the functionality of the Covered Equipment;

Complete T&C...

http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/AppleCarePlus.pdf

8. macrumors 65816

I was thinking the same thing, but a case is about the same price as their damage deductible.

9. macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I will get AppleCare+ but I will also get some invisible film to protect the phone from scratches. And $49 per incident is cheap. Verizon charges $149 per incident and over $9 a month. So what you pay for the insurance is about the same as AppleCare+ but to replace a damaged phone is 3x the cost. That's ridiculous.

10. macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I will get AppleCare+ but I will also get some invisible film to protect the phone from scratches. And $49 per incident is cheap. Verizon charges $149 per incident and over $9 a month. So what you pay for the insurance is about the same as AppleCare+ but to replace a damaged phone is 3x the cost. That's ridiculous.

11. macrumors regular

Yes that is true. And it is certainly a lot cheaper than buying a new phone at full price if it were damaged. The insurance price per incident that Verizon has set is, or was, standard at many wireless companies. At least that was the case for T-Mobile. but I do not want to take my chances. Sometimes I have my 4 naked and I have had not had any issues... I am really careful with my things.

12. macrumors 6502

I won't be using a case, though I might explore the possibility of using a protective film of some sort.

13. macrumors regular

So in other words if you scratch your front glass be sure to throw it against a wall before calling it in