Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KTK1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
With the apps auto updating themselves, is there any way to view release notes of the app before or after the app gets updated?

Most of the time I find cool new features that are in the update only because they are mentioned in the notes. Or know not to update if they have a major bug or feature removed.

mwxiao

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
CT
With the apps auto updating themselves, is there any way to view release notes of the app before or after the app gets updated?

Most of the time I find cool new features that are in the update only because they are mentioned in the notes. Or know not to update if they have a major bug or feature removed.

That's exactly why I am not so excited about auto-update. I assume there is an option to turn it off, meaning the old way to manually update the apps.

I like to know which app has an update and what has been updated.

cualexander

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2006
Charlotte, NC
That's exactly why I am not so excited about auto-update. I assume there is an option to turn it off, meaning the old way to manually update the apps.

I like to know which app has an update and what has been updated.

I agree. I hope it can be turned off, it would be a shame to have an app force updated and functionality pulled from it or bugs introduced. Auto updating is not good if they are forcing it.

Marbles1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2011
Agreed this is a concerning feature.

Some games receive whole new level packs for free with an update.

Some TV/Media apps e.g. 'Sky Go' receive new channels, new on-demand functionality.

Some apps REMOVE features with an update and tell you not to update if you don't want to (e.g. GoodPlayer).

I can't see me wanting to enable auto-update if I'm not forced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.