With ipod and itunes, I have lost my feel for music.....

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by whw5, Feb 25, 2006.

1. whw5 macrumors regular

I have made the decision, I am going back to buying my albums and using a CD player. I love music and I love instant gratification. I don't think they mix very well. What ever happened to anticipating that album coming in the mail, or looking forward to opening it and seeing the album art? Its all gone with itunes. I love all my ipods and I think they are great for trips, movies, and working out. However, I do think that they encourage frequent changing of the song and a shorter attention span for music. With a CD player its a more intimate experience. It is just you and the album in your player, there are no other songs jostling to be played, nagging in the back of your mind. Thats just what I think, and I'm sure others feel differently.

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I've had the opposite experience. I love having all my music at my finger tips and not having to shuffle thru binders looking for the particular album I want. I also don't miss carrying around a CD wallet w/me everywhere I go. As for the anticipation, why don't you just buy the CD? All my music is from CD's I've purchased (or received as gifts).

It's funny how people are starting to talk about CDs today the same way that some people talk about vinyl. It's old, therefore it's more pure. ;)

Lethal

3. whw5 thread starter macrumors regular

I see your point with that. I guess to each generation its own way of buying music. I'm only 15 but I've been buying music since 4th grade. I guess thats early enough to stick me with the CD generation. One item of interest, you never hear people talk about cassettes anymore. I guess cassettes were just the ugly child of the music delivery mediums.

4. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

i DO agree that we have become more impatient about listening to music in general now that we can change them so easily. back when you bought an album, sometimes it'd have to "grow on you." but it did feel ultimately much more rewarding to fully absorb some albums that way. and i dont find myself listening to albums "all the way through" like i used to in high school.

ipod and itunes have changed music, but have they changed for the better?

5. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

i was a late developer in terms of music only having around 3 CD's before i was 17, and when i got my first iPod (3G) it launched me head first into music. i now have an extensive music library and great (i think) musical taste:D

and i have iPod and iTunes to thank.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Hmmm....

This:
    02-25-06_2146.jpg

Or this:
    02-25-06_2147.jpg

Meh. Whatever floats your boat.

7. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

I'm half and half with the OP. I buy all my CD's old-school, I don't use the music store. But, I'm glad I have my ipod so I can listen to it where I don't/can't have my iBook.

8. whw5 thread starter macrumors regular

Well the one thing itunes is really good for is finding new artists and buying their music. Like Sufjan Stevens, I bought his album on itunes after listening to it. With artists who I know and love, like the Flaming Lips, I just have to get the actual album.

9. Timepass macrumors 65816

hmm I miss having a cd player. they wehre really nice when I had them but now I use the ipod for everything but short trips in my car. for longer trips it all though the ipod.

Hmm the iPods did to a huge number to cd buying. I still buy them from time to time.

10. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I love being able to drive along in the car and enjoy music without having the whole front seat area cluttered with CDs. I tend to select a particular album and play it all the way through, just as I did when I used CDs and that works for me. I'm not into "shuffling" the songs and albums around or jumping from one artist's work to another's.... When I'm starting out, I choose an album on my iPod and play it all the way through. Ditto when I'm at home or listening to my iPod at other times.

11. whw5 thread starter macrumors regular

Well I do love using my ipod in the car, but walking through the halls, I'm always tempted to skip the tracks around.

12. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

I definitely know what youre talking about, and frankly, some part of me agrees with you. However, its really not enough to make me give up the ipod's convenience.

13. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

14. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    why blame the ipod?

Quite frankly, I don't see how anyone can blame the ipod for encouraging a short attention span. Radios have preset buttons, cd players have skip and program functions...heck, even 8track tapes could toggle thru 4 selections.

Is a multiple CD changer a less intimate experience? I mean, the other CD's are there jostling to be played. If you have a single CD player but your other CD's are stacked on top of it--do they nag? ;)

I'm messing with you...but I do think you're shooting the messenger...

15. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Use Clutter to add all your favorite albums from iTunes directly on your destktop. Then you can listen to one album at the time by double-clicking it's cover. :)

16. whw5 thread starter macrumors regular

Well there are many messengers. The question is, which one am I really aiming at?
    Just messing back.:)

17. whw5 thread starter macrumors regular

I absolutely love clutter. It is my favorite mac shareware program out there.

18. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

I actually love having a bunch of CD's in my car and just putting one in and forgetting about it. Gotta learn to let things take their course and not think about it every two seconds like you would think about switching songs with your ipod in the car. Grab a few good CD's, head off to a show, and have a great time =).

19. whw5 thread starter macrumors regular

Amen Amen

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I still buy CD's in fact Im yet to purchase from iTunes, But I always use my iPod. The ability to have a whole library of music at your fingertips is what I've dreamed for my whole life. I love to listen to full albums but the downside is its hard to listen to some like "Dark Side" or "The Wall" cause the track breaks ruin the experience that you get from the actual LP.

21. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

Uhhh, don't take this the wrong way, but I feel totally the opposite. CD's, changing CD's, remember track numbers, using a CD player which was FAR LARGER were all a MAJOR pain. The only thing I miss is not having to charge so much and being able to change batteries very rarely. That's IT.

22. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Nope. Cassettes are a pain. You've got to actually rewind and fast forward, you have a very limited number of songs... and stupid tapey stuff sometimes got all tangled up. :p Plus, I didn't have a CD player in my car until I got this car.

I still buy my music in the flesh, as in, CDs... so I do still pay attention to when certain albums are released, and I do still get excited and look through the physical album art and whatnot.

But I like both.

It's nice to cruise on a gorgeously sunny day with the windows down, hair blowing in the wind, and just let the CD go... it's also nice to have an iPod for long (6-9 hour) road trips, though. I keep my Nano handy and I do have a smaller CD case thing (holds 10 or so CDs) for those times that I prefer one over the other. :D

23. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I mostly buy albums and then play iTunes songs by album. So it's like the same.

24. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

I understand from what angle you are coming from. I still buy most of my albums on CD and once in awhile I buy an album from iTunes.

I still prefer the quality sound and whole experience you have with a CD.

However iTunes and iPod do such a good job in organizing and portability. I just love to have all my music with me wherever I go without renting a truck to haul all my CD's around. I just slip that little iPod in a my pocket and off I go.

Sure both media types have it's pro's and con's. Why not choose the pro's out of both worlds and be happy. (that's what I do and so far it has severed me well)

25. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I've gained more of a feel for music since I got my iPod and iTunes and I started with vinyl as a kid.

Vinyl was a pain since you had to sit and listen to the music without doing anything else otherwise you risked scratching the album and never being able to listen to it again. Cassettes had to be rewound if you wanted to listen to something again and they did snarl - particularly in 'cheap' walkmen.

CDs were a blessing when they came along and got rid of a lot of those inconveniences but the iPod and iTunes takes them all away while giving you that 'instant' music when you find that you really want to listen to something.

What I love about it most? Instead of standing in front of my CDs and having to make a choice of what exactly I want to listen to (and ending up with the same 5 CDs - or the most recent ones purchased) now I can put iTunes on shuffle for all my top rated tracks and it throws out something I might have forgotten about. I can still listen to the album as a whole, or I can shuffle from artist to artist.