With Lion - MacBook Pro won't sleep.

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Home-Skillet, Jul 27, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Jul 21, 2011
    United Kingdom
    I have a 13" 2009 MacBook Pro - and I have a second 21" LG Display hooked up to it. I use both monitors together, and it used to be the case that when I closed the macbook - everything would go to sleep. Now that I'm on Lion, it just shuts the mac's screen off and moves everything to the other display.

I can't work out how to fix this. Any help?

2. macrumors 68030

Taz Mangus

Mar 10, 2011
    Lion has changed the way clamshell mode works. It no longer goes to sleep when you close the lid and have a monitor hooked to it and the power source is connected. Disconnect the power source and the MacBook Pro will go to sleep.

Personally, I like the way clamshell mode works in Lion. I use my MacBook Pro to stream movies and in Snow Leopard when I connected the MacBook Pro to my TV and closed the lid it would go to sleep. In Snow Leopard, it was a pain because I had to wait for it to go to sleep after I closed the lid and then I had to wake it and then I had to open the lid and enter my password and then I had to close the lid again. Now in Lion, I connect the power source, connect it to the TV, close the lid and watch the movie.