With Love From Gateway's CEO

Discussion in 'Community' started by trebblekicked, Apr 19, 2003.

1. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

i bought a gateway about 5 years ago. today i got this letter. you guys should have a field day with this. have fun!:

Hi,
    I'm Ted Waitt and I'm the CEO of Gateway. I used to write a letter to our customers once a quarter, so I'm excited to be doing it again. If you'll give me a minute, I'd like to tell you a story and also give you something as thanks for hearing me out.

I started Gateway with a friend back in 1985 on my dad's farm. At the time, we believed there was a better way for you to buy computers- we cutomized a computer for your needs and sent it with a bit of the heartland in our famous cow box. No gimmicks, just honest value and great service. We didn't just make computers, we were someone you could trust.

And then somehow, the whole industry just started going nuts. To get bigger and sell more, the PC companies started using complicated rebates and limited offers of "free this or free that." Or they advertised stripped-down PCs just to show the lowerst price on products that they really didn't want to sell. Just try to buy one of those cheap computers you see advertised on TV all the time. You'll see.

To be honest with you, we got caught up in some of those games, too. And it didn't feel good. But now we're getting back to what we were, and here's my promise to you.

I promise to do what we do best. Making our computers the way you want them for the things you want them to do, and not for the sake of just matching the competition. Great computers at great prices that are useful to you, right out of our cow box, with more features built in right from the start.

I promise to make it simpler. No more games, no more rebates or complicated offers. Just great value in every computer we sell an in every experience we have with you- and shipping is included on all all our new home computers all the time.

I promise we won't let you down. When you get in a bind with a product we've sold you, we'll stand behind it and do our best to make you happy again with unbeatable customer service and technical support.

We've always been known for straight talk, a smile, a firm handshake, and going that extra mile. And contrary to what some of you want to think, we have a very healthy business with over a billion dollars in cash in the bank and no debt. So we plan to be around for a very long time.

To show you our commitment, and to say thanks for your business, I've included a special certificate with this letter as a way of starting our conversation again. And if you'd like to give us feedback, e-mail us at mypromise@gateway.com. Thanks for your time, hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,

(signature)
    Ted Waitt

2. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

wow. a marketing lie about not making more marketing lies. that's impressive. not.

it's really funny at the end how he gets all defiant about not going under. that was pretty funny, yeah.

3. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Companies usually resort to "the letter" at the end. It won't be long now.

4. spinner macrumors regular

What's really funny is that a bunch of the letters had the wrong person's name on it. They mixed names and addresses at the fulfillment center, so we had a bunch of people calling in to see what the hell was going on. A lot of them thought that someone else had been buying stuff on their account. It was quite comical. Only Gateway could screw up their last ditch effort for customers.

5. trebblekicked thread starter macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

he's downright beligerant. "contrary to what some of you want to think". LOL. i guess he/the-computer-program-that-synthesizes-CEO-language figured there were enough current/former Gateway customers that wanted the company to go under to warrant the message being included in that manner. i'm all for taking bets on how long until the stock holders take that 1 billion in cash and run.

And is it just me, or has gateway's apple-envy reached new heights?

6. alia macrumors 6502a

alia

That's pretty hilarious... especially considering their technical support and customer service is CRAP. My brother had the misfortune of purchasing one of their computers. It's not even two years old and has been with their tech support team longer than it's been with him... the last incident, they had it for 5 months straight, and he still had to bring it back 3 times after that before it functioned correctly. They wouldn't even extend his stupid warranty, and ended up giving him a $100 gift certificate for more of their trash (and that was after numerous calls with regional managers, etc!). This is an extremely abridged version of the entire nightmare.

I have a friend who works for them, but I still hope they die a quick death so no one else has to suffer through the same kind of treatment as my brother.

Alia

7. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

8. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

Gateway is doing great ! Last thing I heard they were hiring...Iraq's ex-information minister

:D

9. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Haaa! That was a good one. He would get a job there!

10. cubist macrumors 68020

"No more games, rebates etc.", and then he concludes with a rebate coupon! What a funny guy!

If he seriously intends to reintroduce quality construction into PCs, the prices will be back in the $2K range, and he won't sell any.

"There is no truth to the rumor that the BBC is going out of business". Anybody remember the Monty Python skit? The landlord is banging on the door demanding his rent... A classic.

11. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

More dumb advice from that darn cow...

Apparently, he's been spending too much time in the stable talking to that darn cow! :D

Yeah, I'd agree that Gateway probably has enormous envy towards Apple. Even if Gateway sells in the PC world or even sells more, they were a company that USED to be known for quality. And then Gateway Country came, and the CEO admitted to talking to cows. I'm just wondering whether he was talking to the front of the cow or the back of it?

Yeeessh!!! :D

12. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

all i have to say is i hope he still has a spot open for a job at farm later.

iJon

13. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

i have to say, i always preferred the chick-fil-a cattle. down with Big Bull Brother!