Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eldiablojoe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
West Koast
I, like millions of others, have had little understanding of AppleTV, but am intrigued by the Apple Event today.

If I understand it correctly, I buy AppleTV for $99, then for .99 I can rent and stream (HD when available) TV shows and movies.

How is this different than just using my iPad app and the AV cable to play it on my plasma?

Also, do I have to watch the movie as it is streaming, or am I able to play it at a later time?

Thank you for your time.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
I, like millions of others, have had little understanding of AppleTV, but am intrigued by the Apple Event today.

If I understand it correctly, I buy AppleTV for $99, then for .99 I can rent and stream (HD when available) TV shows and movies.

How is this different than just using my iPad app and the AV cable to play it on my plasma?

Also, do I have to watch the movie as it is streaming, or am I able to play it at a later time?

Thank you for your time.

Apple does not allow the iPad to use the AV cable to output video for 3rd party apps to your TV.

Eldiablojoe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
West Koast
Apple does not allow the iPad to use the AV cable to output video for 3rd party apps to your TV.
Oh. Ok, then what if I use the Netflix app on my iPhone and the AV cable? I'm not trying to be all "anti" and stuff, I'm just trying to justify what more I would get for $99 plus .99 each time.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Not true. I'm not sure about Netflix but TV out is supported by Air Video app and last time I checked, that app wasn't developed by Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.