With Sandy Bridge on the horizon...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Eclipse2xx, Jan 8, 2011.

  1. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2011
    #1
    Should I wait before purchasing a mac laptop? I was specifically looking at the 13 inch. macbook air. Thanks!
     
  2. macrumors 65816

    Lurchdubious

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2008
    Location:
    The Gem State
    #2
    Probably not, if you're waiting for the Air. …unless you are ok with waiting several months. They just refreshed the Air.
     
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2011
    #3
    How long of a wait would you estimate the wait to be?
     
  4. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2010
    #4

    4 -6 months
     
  5. macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2009
    #5
    There's really noway to tell, but you should feel okay with purchasing one now.
     
  6. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2008
    Location:
    Sydney, Australia
    #6
    Mind you, the low-power laptop models are the first to ship, releasing this week. The higher-spec i5 and the i7 models for desktop use aren't coming until the second half of the year.

    The Air could see an early upgrade if Apple think the power performance of the new chips is sufficiently better. SB might let them use only the on-chip graphics in the air for a considerable power saving.
     
  7. macrumors 6502a

    Shasta McNasty

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2010
    Location:
    Southern Cali
    #7
    The air was just refreshed in October. Dont expect it to happen any time sooner than then. If anything, wait for the new macbook pros if you want to see what happens in the shortest amount of wait time.
     
  8. thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2011
    #8
    I like the Pro too, but its just a tad on the beavy side.
     
  9. macrumors 6502a

    Shasta McNasty

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2010
    Location:
    Southern Cali
    #9
    Then get the air and enjoy it. You'll always lose in the latest and greatest technology game because something better willmalways be on the horizon. Until you can accept that, you'll never be happy.
     
  10. thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2011
    #10

    Thanks. I just didn't want to buy one and look like a moron if it were to be updated a month later.
     
  11. thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2011
    #11
  12. macrumors G4

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2010
    #12

    The new MacBook Air has 2 USB ports, an SD card slot, a higher resolution screen, and a glass touchpad. It also has better heat management, meaning the processor doesn't throttle down as much. The new Air is also available with a 256GB SSD. Finally, you can get a new Air equipped with 4GB, but only at the time of purchase (it's soldered on and can't be expanded).
     
  13. macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 7, 2009
    Location:
    Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    #13
    no.

    buy now; 4gb memory.

    be happy for at least 12 months :D
     
  14. thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2011
    #14
  15. macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2009
    #15
    As others have said buy now. These are some awesome laptops and you won't regret it. I would not expect a new MBA anytime soon.
     
  16. macrumors 68000

    tom vilsack

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2010
    Location:
    ladner cdn
  17. Gen
    macrumors 6502a

    Gen

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2008
    #17
  18. macrumors 68020

    jamesryanbell

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2009
    #18
    This is the answer.
     
  19. thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2011
    #19
    Can someone tell me the going rate for the 13 inch MBA (4GB Ram/128GB)?
     
  20. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2004
    #20
    $1399 USD?

    http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MC503LL/A

    I could see them Updating the MBA by WWDC in June, but not before that. If not in WWDC then again in the Fall.

    The MBP's will get Sandy Bridge sometime between Feb-April ('cause they've rarely gone more than 8 months w/o an update, but it's already going on 9+ months since the last update in April 2010).
     
  21. 2IS
    macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2011
    #21
    Depends on your usage. If you're going to be doing a lot of photo/video editing you might be better off until an i5 refresh is available. If you're mainly looking for an ultra portable laptop for web browsing and office applications with photo/video as a secondary concern, which was the case for me, the current crop of Core 2 Duo's are more than adequate. Just be sure you get it with 4GB RAM.
     
  22. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2008
    Location:
    Downtown San Diego
    #22
    As someone with an early 2k8 MBP, I have toyed with picking up the latest air. I've chosen to hold on a bit longer until SB, but if I were Mac-less there would be no question.

    Apple machines have great resale. If you chose the sell the MBA and decide to upgrade to the SB machine in 6-9 months your loss on resale would likely be no more than a few hundred.
     
  23. macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2010
    #23
    I really find that hard to believe. Someone would want to take the chance on a used MBA instead of spending $200 more and getting the latest and greatest brand new?
     

Share This Page