With the new 8 Cores coming

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by metsnyfan87, Oct 26, 2006.

  1. metsnyfan87 macrumors newbie

    Oct 26, 2006
    I JUUUUUST ordered my mac pro two days ago and it has yet to ship.
    I had a 2.66 GHZ, 750GB HDD, 2MB RAM, X1900 Config.
    I'm planning on calling up Apple today and cancelling my MP before it ships in a few days, so I can wait for the 8 Core MPs.
    Before I do, does anyone know about their cancellation policies, since I cannot do it online (Because part of my order already shipped). Apple's website says that it wont take any returns of "custom order" machines, so I dont want to wait to receive it.

    Does anyone know about apple's cancellation policy before the computer ships?:confused:
  2. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

    Apr 19, 2005
    I think you're going to be highly disappointed with the pricing on the 8 core machine(s). You will likely see one new system added to the lineup. Placing the 8 core machine into the "Quad G5" arena. It'll likely cost a good bit more than the stock 3.0ghz machine right now and won't be an all encompasing "upgrade" to all systems. Just the high end and it will cost a good fortune for it.

    Best of luck. I'm gauging the price on you because you went with the 2.66ghz and not the 3.0ghz. Which to me was a laughable increase in price/performance. It was a no brainer for me to stick with the stock 2.66.
  3. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

    Apr 19, 2005
    That's called a "rumor" ... it's merely guess work because the Clovertown is coming out in the "middle" of November.. you likely won't be finding mass quantities of the chip for a good month. I'm curious if Clovertown in November is going to be a paper launch or an actual product launch.

    Personally, if it happens I see it as a high end machine like I mentioned in the previous reply in this thread. I honestly don't even see it happening... I think there may be an update in January/Feburary but that'll be it.
  4. Umbongo macrumors 601


    Sep 14, 2006
    Expect to pay $1100 - $1200 for 2.66Ghz quadcore upgrade, possibly more.
  5. maxp macrumors member

    Oct 16, 2006
    For tasks that only make use of one processor core am i right in assuming that the current 2.66ghz dual core xeons will perform exactly the same as a new quad core 2.66ghz?

    Or am i missing something like a change in architecture?

  6. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

    Jul 2, 2006
    I was thinking March myself. Get the early adopters to buy in - then hit 'em for an upgrade to Leopard in April/May...

    Standard Apple marketing tactics.:)
  7. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

    Apr 19, 2005
    It's essentially 2 Woodcrests (the processors in the Mac Pros now) packaged together with some "glue" to make it all work together.
  8. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

    Jul 2, 2006
    More or less. But the current Mac Pro with probably be better than and octo when running multiple process because the memory bandwidth is only shared between 2 cores per CPU and not 4.

    Just how bad this issue will be remains to be seen, but the current memory controler achitecture employed by intel does not scale with multiple cores beyond 4 as well as thous used by "other companies".
  9. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816


    May 15, 2006
    Sorry, I was talking about 14 days for returns.

    I think for most users they won't see the benefit of 8 over 4 cores for most tasks at the same MHz.
  10. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

    Apr 19, 2005
    That sounds more realistic, I was being a bit ambitious with the January/Febuary timeframe.
  11. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

    Apr 19, 2005
    Yea I think once AMD releases their quad core processors it'll blow a similarly clocked Intel out of the water.. plus once they get the plan going it'll scale a lot better.
  12. StealthRider macrumors 65816


    Jan 23, 2002
    Yokosuka, Japan
    AMD's "quad core" solution in the near future is the exact same as Apple's quad core machines now - two processors with two cores each - no way it will blow away a decent "true" quad-core machine.
  13. metsnyfan87 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Oct 26, 2006
    i know itll be more $$

    I would eventually see the benefit of the extra 4 cores since I'd be using the MP for Final Cut Studio, Shake, etc. I know that the 8 cores would cost more, but I'm going to have the money within a month anyway, so whenever it comes out, in 1 month or 4, I should be fairly set. I just didnt originally go for the 3.0 GHz because $700+ for .34 ghz (which only showed minute improvements in the benchmark tests in FCP), just isn't necessarily worth it to me. Now essentially doubling the comp's processing power, that would be fairly substantial.

    Plus, what's the harm in waiting a few months? if the clovertown MPs aren't worth it, I'll just go back to the original config that I had, since they let me cancel the order.
  14. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a


    Feb 24, 2006
    just don't buy a macpro i heard a rumor of 69 core mac pros for macworld 09';) ;)
  15. MRU macrumors demi-god


    Aug 23, 2005
    can i have one next tuesday ?
  16. dkoralek macrumors 6502


    Sep 12, 2006
    along with a powerbook g5.
  17. THX1139 macrumors 68000


    Mar 4, 2006
    4 extra cores for rendering would be nice...but, I'm wondering we are going to be seeing diminishing returns on anything beyond 4 cores for the next year or two. For the cost of those additional processers, a smart person might be better off investing in a second work station... or may they could get a Mini (or two) and setup a render station? Or in the case of video, invest in video hardware acceleration?

    I think the 2.66 is going to be the sweet spot for return on investment for awhile yet. Besides, if one really wanted to go with 8 cores, they could always upgrade the processers in a 4 core machine later.
  18. SMM macrumors 65816


    Sep 22, 2006
    Tiger Mountain - WA State
    I can tell you from personal experience that Compressor does real nice with a G5 Quad and 2.66 working together (I also have a dual G5 2.0). Also, rendering in Lightwave is very good.
  19. robbents99 macrumors regular


    Jan 15, 2001
    Directly under the sun....now.
    I'd wait until Rev B 8 Cores arrive and just enjoy your Mac Pro.
  20. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

    Scarlet Fever

    Jul 22, 2005
    If you can wait, its probably not a bad idea to wait. The current machines are awesome, and you would be hard pressed to give it full load any time soon. :)

    But 8 cores does sound tempting...

  21. Latisha macrumors newbie

    Oct 21, 2006
    Maybe some minor price drops will be applied to the rest of the line when the octo-core Mac Pros arrive, but expecting the 2.66 Quad to be replaced by a 2.66 Octo within a thousand bucks of the same price point is naive.
  22. pengu macrumors 6502a

    Mar 20, 2005
    Diddily Daddily...
    i am really quite stunned by how many people go and order a new mac, and then immediately jump onto a forum and ask COMPLETE STRANGERS if they should cancel based on some dodgy rumor?

    are you people all suffering brain damage!?

    either order it, and enjoy it, or wait. its that simple. sweet jesus.
  23. bob5820 macrumors 6502a


    Jun 23, 2006
    35°0′36″N 80°40′45″W (35.0
    Another point to consider is that the current MacPro's are fairly stable, their quiet, and do not generate that much heat. The Octo's though may not be as forgiving initially. As has already been stated the octo may get hamstrung by the fsb speed which will not be increased over the current MacPro's.
  24. Glen Quagmire macrumors 6502a

    Jan 6, 2006
    At some point, the eight core Mac Pro will be superseded by a sixteen core model. IMHO, you should hold off forever.

Share This Page