Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Withings today announced its latest health-oriented product, introducing the Withings Thermo, a Wi-Fi connected temporal artery thermometer the company says is able to provide one of the fastest, most accurate temperature readings available.

The Withings Thermo uses 16 independent infrared sensors to non-invasively measure a person's temperature using the temporal artery at the side of the head. According to Withings, this "HotSpot Sensor Technology" can quickly measure IR signature and emitted heat, capturing 4,000 measurements in two seconds. A specially-designed algorithm corrects for biases like heat loss and ambient temperature, and then the hottest point is determined for an accurate single temperature reading.

withingsthermo1-800x533.jpg

Temperature is detected when the Thermo is placed on the forehead. A click of a button on the device will measure the current temperature, and a vibration will notify users when a temperature reading has been completed. The LED on the device will provide a temperature along with color-coded feedback that glows green for normal, orange for moderated, and red for elevated temperature levels.

Temperature readings captured by the Thermo are also automatically synced to an iOS device over Bluetooth or Wi-Fi and are stored in the accompanying app alongside information from other Withings products like the Smart Body Analyzer. With app connectivity, parents are able to keep track of their children's temperature trends over time and all data collected can be shared with a physician.

withingsthermo2-800x461.jpg

Thermo uses two AAA batteries and can last for up to two years on a single set of batteries. It is labeled as a Class IIa medical device with the appropriate clearance from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

The Withings Thermo will be available during the first quarter of 2016 for $99.95.

Article Link: CES 2016: Withings Announces 'Thermo' Ultra Fast Wi-Fi Connected Thermometer

Reactions: appledefenceforce

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
LOLOL $99.95 is a lot more expensive than the back of my hand

Pretty sure it's a lot more accurate and keeps logs that your doctor could likely make user of...unlike the back of your hand. And since it already has FDA clearance, you might just happen to see one in your doctor's office. Unless you balk at the cost of seeing professionals too.

PlutoPrime

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2009
I have all the Whithings products...but... but.. why a thermometer? did this niche really need disruption? If this thing was $19.99 I could accept motivation for engineering such a cool gadget. But at $99 I seriously think it's insane, unless they're targeting doctor's offices who use the thing many many times per day.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
I have all the Whithings products...but... but.. why a thermometer? did this niche really need disruption? If this thing was $19.99 I could accept motivation for engineering such a cool gadget. But at $99 I seriously think it's insane, unless they're targeting doctor's offices who use the thing many many times per day.

Also parents, I would say. Similar (dumber) products exist which are marketed to new parents and cost a similar amount (at lest in my country).

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC

It actually is targeting doctor's offices but that price is quite affordable for being available to both.

Reactions: appledefenceforce

apfelmann

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2007

just as unthinkable as selling a pencil for 99 $

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Lol. Why would u use Wifi instead of Blutooth? Withings continues to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. A Kinsa Smart Ear does all of this for 40% less ducats.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Seems unnecessary to to have a wifi linked thermometer. How often would you possibly be taking your kids temperature. It's called a $10 thermometer, a peice of paper, and a pen. Hell, I think the mercury-filled thermometer I had as a child is still floating around my parents house.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
if accurate then this product is a game changer.

Much easier for GPs hospitals etc.

I wonder if they could get this to work in a vets practice also, that would be amazing. Maybe Withings are working on this as another massive market.

Would like some equity shares in this company.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
if accurate then this product is a game changer.

Much easier for GPs hospitals etc.

I wonder if they could get this to work in a vets practice also, that would be amazing. Maybe Withings are working on this as another massive market.

Would like some equity shares in this company.
Temporal thermometers area great especially in inpatient because you don't have to wake up the patient every 4-6 hours sticking a device in one of their orphices. That said, the wifi link and such I doubt would ever practically sync up with an electronic health record. It seems overly complicated for data entry that will be done anyways and is just another potential HIPPA security issue.

Then again, bar codes revolutionized pharmacy safety from filling to dispensing in hospitals. So perhaps I'm not being inaginative enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.