Without losing quality, I need to compress video file to be under 100MB

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by justmyopinion, May 17, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

First time using this forum, so I hope I'm doing this right. I have iMovie 08 and make videos to post on some video sharing sites. My problem is I changed my settings once and now all my videos look terrible and I can't for the life of me remember what the default settings were.

After making a video, I click 'share', 'export to quick time movie' and then my problems start. My file is over 100MB and most sites don't allow this. How do I compress and not lose quality and/or what are the default settings that were on the Mac when I got it a few months ago?

Thanks for any advice and help and let me know if this is in the wrong forum.

2. macrumors 68000

You could try using Share > Export, and try exporting using a different size, this might improve quality. How long is/are the movie(s) btw?

3. macrumors 65816

scienide09

If that doesn't work, cut the video in half and upload is as parts 1 and 2.

4. macrumors 65816

arjen92

digital video is the forum where you should have placed this. I assume you upload to youtube (as youtube has a limit of 100mb). Well there's a button for youtube built right into imovie. If you just won't the movie, try: share: export with quicktime. Now select Film to MPEG-4 or, Film to quicktime and select options. Do your thing. Don't make the resolution to high, or to low. If that doesn't work press command-e and pick the size you want. But not to big (it will be above 100 mb) and not to small (it'll look crap).