Without Microsoft the G5 wouldn't have been possible...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by groovebuster, Mar 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

I found an interesting article about Microsoft indirectly helping Apple to survive... Check it out! :)

Link to Original

Part 1:

2. groovebuster thread starter macrumors 65816

groovebuster

Part 2:

3. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

4. groovebuster thread starter macrumors 65816

groovebuster

Sorry then that I don't read all threads 24/7 on Macrumors.... :rolleyes:

5. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Worst part is if Microsoft hadn't killed Windows NT for PPC, the PowerPC platform would probably been a major platform by now and the PowerPC970 probably would have been a processor series with the depth of product the G4 has right now (ie, been out many years by now and quite close to being phased out).

So MicroSoft saved the PowerPC. :rolleyes:

7. 7on macrumors 601

7on

why does MS need Apples ok to produce NT for Apple computers? I doubt the Linux distros Apple's approval. I don't think, if MS had anything to do with the G5, that they got something concrete like that. They're just keeping the PPC architecture open. Prolly the reason for VPC buy-out too. In case Windows goes PPC, MS would be able to sell Windows with support for legacy programs.

8. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Quote: "Bill Gates has been worried for more than fifteen years about hitching his wagon too tightly to the X86 architecture, and to Intel"
    Is for me the most interesting part.

IMHO I think Apple would (and should) make their "G5 Macs" NOT NT-bootable. They still have their own hardware designs.
    Its more a discussion of M$ being scared of their dependance of the x86 architecture (declining? losing its speed advantages?).
    One of M$' lucky advantages they had was that the hardware their OS run son was cheaper and faster.....
    Not so (maybe not quite now..) in the near future....? And Mr. Gate$ knows it!

9. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

In reality Microsoft probably didn't "save" Apple. So they decided to use the 970 in the xBox2. xBox came out in Q4 2001. Apple started looking for a processor replacement probably in 1999. IBM said themselves it took about 18 months to develop the 970. With a debut of October 2002 this puts it in and around the Apple timeframe, and not the xBox frame at all. For Microsoft to have saved apple, they would have probably had to request the RISC processor back in January, a mear 2 months after the lauch of the xBox, and even at that point they were probably still lusting over the P4. Issues arise with the P4(speed bumps not what anyone had hoped) they start looking for a new processor, they see the IBM 970, which was debuted in October 2002, and start to lust over that.

If anything Microsoft sped up the finalization of the 970 chip. Getting it into production faster.

IBM mostly developed this chip for IBM, as they will be the largest user of the chip. With their chip selection being what it was at the time, it was a perfect opportunity for them to jump into the small server/workstation chip market.

Lastly I'll follow with some persona opinion. NT is not a viable market for the G5. Just because something exists doesn't mean it's going to take over. Let's say microsoft markets NT for the Apple G5. 1) It wouldn't catch. More people buy Apple because of the OS than for the hardware. 2) This would mean that some company would have to make an G5 machine and then bundle it with NT. Unlikely. I doubt you'll find a large company that is willing to do so, which would be needed to even get it off the ground. 3)Every program would have to be recomplied/rewritten for RISC. This is not an easy feat.

I think It'll be funny when the xbox2 emulator comes out for PowerMac G5s.

10. iGav macrumors G3

I hate this sh*t....

We'll see... ;)

11. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

There is a decent chance I'm wrong
    but
    The vast majority of home computers run windows
    based on an x86 platform
    the xbox is sold at a loss so as to lure people into
    buying high priced game software
    software piracy and the running of emulators costs