Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wasimyaqoob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 23, 2005
London, England.
Hello,

Does anyone know how to get .WMA Secure files to work on the Apple iPod

For example, downloading music from Napster and getting them on iPod.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
wasimyaqoob said:
Hello,

Does anyone know how to get .WMA Secure files to work on the Apple iPod

For example, downloading music from Napster and getting them on iPod.
If the Napster files let you burn a CD, burn to CD and re-rip, you're going to have to re-endcode anyhow... Otherwise, this forum is not a place that is receptive to breaking DRM, so try elsewhere to get another answer.

B

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
It doesn't, period. And if you're subscribing as opposed to buying then the services won't allow you to burn CD's so that way is out.

That's why I have a Playsforsure machine in addition to an iPod for subscription services. Call it a necessary evil in order to get my music fix. I have a big one (Creative Zen Vision M) and a small one (iRiver H10) dedicated to subscription music services. Both of them are very unreliable compared to the iPod and they 'kind of work' as opposed to the iPod which 'just works', but as long as I can sling my songs on there eventually it's good enough for me right now.

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
This is why you should never buy music with DRM... ever. If you've legally purchased it, you shouldn't have this kind of uphill struggle to get it to play on the music player of your choice.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Yeah but subscription DRM is a cool idea. I've only bought test songs from iTunes and would never pay for that. Napster, Rhapsody offer barely better in terms of quality and are even more restrictive in terms of how you can use the music if you're foolish enough to buy from them, but the alternative they offer is that you give them a certain amount a month and you can download the entire catalog onto your player. i.e. you rent music instead of buying it. Of course when you stop paying you lose all access to the music but I use it like a try-before-you-buy CD catalog. It's great. It's already saved me hundred of dollars in dud CD's that I would have bought if I wasn't able to check it out in full.

When Apple offers it, I'm out of the truly crappy renting experience that is Microsoft PlaysForSure Subscription and will ditch all my non-iPods with a sigh of relief. Nothing ever really works properly most of the time (and despite what I said about iTunes, I will acknowledge that it works perfectly) and sometimes it's such a hassle to get music onto a player that I do sometimes question whether this is really worth it. It is for me, but PlaysForSure and the players which use it are just a series of unnecessary hassles that I wouldn't have to put up with if it was Apple stuff.

w00master

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Sesshi said:
Yeah but subscription DRM is a cool idea. I've only bought test songs from iTunes and would never pay for that. Napster, Rhapsody offer barely better in terms of quality and are even more restrictive in terms of how you can use the music if you're foolish enough to buy from them, but the alternative they offer is that you give them a certain amount a month and you can download the entire catalog onto your player. i.e. you rent music instead of buying it. Of course when you stop paying you lose all access to the music but I use it like a try-before-you-buy CD catalog. It's great. It's already saved me hundred of dollars in dud CD's that I would have bought if I wasn't able to check it out in full.

When Apple offers it, I'm out of the truly crappy renting experience that is Microsoft PlaysForSure Subscription and will ditch all my non-iPods with a sigh of relief. Nothing ever really works properly most of the time (and despite what I said about iTunes, I will acknowledge that it works perfectly) and sometimes it's such a hassle to get music onto a player that I do sometimes question whether this is really worth it. It is for me, but PlaysForSure and the players which use it are just a series of unnecessary hassles that I wouldn't have to put up with if it was Apple stuff.

I'm with on this. It's only a matter of time before Apple starts offering some sort of "all you can eat" subscription service.

w00master

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
w00master said:
I'm with on this. It's only a matter of time before Apple starts offering some sort of "all you can eat" subscription service.

w00master

Sooner the better in my book. I'm now on my third pile of **** Zen Vision M. Raved over in reviews, probably because so many people want an iPod Killer to exist that anything which comes close gets hyped. Actual use reveals it's irritating shortcomings in comparison to the iPod and QC / support sucks a little too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.