WMA file play.. and multitasking.

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by tlinford, Jul 19, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

tlinford

Hi,

I looking for a solution to play wma files and do something else at the same time on my iPad, like writing notes about what I'm listening to).

I have lectures recored in wma file type that I want to play while listening to the audio... I can playback wma files, using VLC, which is fine until I switch to another task at which point the audio stops playing (so much for multitasking, I suppose VLC was designed mainly for video, so why would you be doing anything else?) .

Q: Is there an app out there that will play wma files like the iPod does audio?

If not,

what about converting the files to mp3 for something else that iTunes recognises?

I see that there are various paid applications for converting wma files to mp3, but I don't see why I should need to pay, when I can use handbrake or realplayer convert to convert video file types for free (I am a poor student).

Q: Is there a free converter for changing an audio file from wma to mp3 out there?

cheers....

2. macrumors 6502a

No idea on what converter to use, but definitely do convert them. WMA files will have to be decoded on the CPU, while there's a dedicated hardware decoder for AAC or MP3 (AAC would be the better choice). That means WMA will eat a lot more battery, and perhaps slow the system down if it's doing that in the background.

This way you can just use the ipod app too.

3. macrumors 6502a

4. macrumors 68020