Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DangerDiabolik

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2003
So I have a dreaded WMA file that I'm dying to listen to/turn into an mp3 Now I have the newest player ( 9 i belive ) , but when i try to play it I get redirected to this URL

http://windowsmedia.com/wmrm/wmrm.asp

and this message

"In order to play this file, you need to upgrade your media player to a version compatible with Windows Media Rights Manager V7. Select View Compatible Players below to see a list of compatible media players.
If your current media player does not have a Windows Media Rights Manager V7 compatible version, you should select a different player with the Windows Media Rights Manager V7 identifier."

I view the compatabel players page...here
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/service_provider/Software/default.aspx

And i just get lost/confused/aggrivated.

Now ths shave happened to me a few times and I wonder if anyone has any info on how i might get to play this file ( im really just looking to rip the audio )

any help would be REALLY great.

DaftUnion

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2005
Wisconsin
Sounds like you either bought rights protected music that was purchased in wma format either from something such as msn music or musicmatch, or maybe even that napster to go? If this is true, there is no way to rip this music unless you could get it onto a cd and then rerip it from a standard audio format cd. But no, you can't convert rights protected music, whether it be in wma form or iTunes music store aac form.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Unfortunately you currently can't play protected WMA on a Mac. However, MS have said that they'll include it in the next version if there's demand. Send them an email (msconus@microsoft.com) and let them know that you want this feature :)

DangerDiabolik

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2003
both excellent solutions, both failed.

Its some silly re-mix...that I suppose was just encoded on a new WMA studio or juekbox...I'll figure this out eventually.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
DangerDiabolik said:
both excellent solutions, both failed.

Its some silly re-mix...that I suppose was just encoded on a new WMA studio or juekbox...I'll figure this out eventually.

Welcome to the fabled black hole of video work :p
X

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
Here's a way to fix your problem, but you need a PC to do it.

Play the file on a PC while recording using a tool similar to WireTap (WireTap is for OS X but I'm sure there's something that does the same thing for Windows). That recording will be in wav format and you can convert that to mp3 or whatever you like from there. No way to do it just on a mac however.

DangerDiabolik

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2003
thats the most sensible soultion as of now....just gotta find a PC and a wiretap ish program

any takers !? :)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
If you got it from a band website or something, email them and let them know that you can't play it. They might put it up in a different format.

DerChef

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Northern Ireland
Correct me if I'm wrong

But Is Mac not going over to use :eek: Microsoft's :eek: WMA format for its iTunes purchase music copy protection as it is cheaper that the Sony AAC s format they are using at the moment :confused:

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
Sony has nothing to do with AAC, they had their own version of DRM which failed miserably. It was something like ATRAC or something.

Apple doesn't play protected wma files because, as of now, microsoft will not let them.

Applespider

macrumors G4
DerChef said:
But Is Mac not going over to use :eek: Microsoft's :eek: WMA format for its iTunes purchase music copy protection as it is cheaper that the Sony AAC s format they are using at the moment :confused:

You're entirely wrong. WMA is a closed Microsoft format - why would Apple pay MS to license it when they have a perfectly good AAC format to use? And since Apple have the biggest market share in MP3 players, then there's more incentive for the other music stores to beg Apple to license their DRM so that they can sell to iPods

DerChef

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Northern Ireland
Applespider said:
You're entirely wrong. WMA is a closed Microsoft format - why would Apple pay MS to license it when they have a perfectly good AAC format to use? And since Apple have the biggest market share in MP3 players, then there's more incentive for the other music stores to beg Apple to license their DRM so that they can sell to iPods

Entirely wrong about the Sony bit true, but I am convinced that AAC is not Apples own and they have to pay a royalty for it.

It is quite correct that Apple has the biggest market share in Mp3 hardware but in terms of legal software downloads WMA is catching up fast.

If the majority of MP3 hardware does not play WMA and WMA becomes the download standard it does neither company much good.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
DerChef said:
Entirely wrong about the Sony bit true, but I am convinced that AAC is not Apples own and they have to pay a royalty for it.

AAC is the audio part of the MPEG-4 standard.

Applespider

macrumors G4
DerChef said:
It is quite correct that Apple has the biggest market share in Mp3 hardware but in terms of legal software downloads WMA is catching up fast.

If the majority of MP3 hardware does not play WMA and WMA becomes the download standard it does neither company much good.

The iTMS has between 70 and 80% of the legal download market depending on whose figures you believe so they're not catching up that fast.

At the moment, the majority of MP3 players play DMA'd AAC and the most popular download store sells DMA'd AAC. The other d/l stores sell DMA'd WPA which only play on WPA enabled MP3 players which are a minority. Why should Apple destroy the iTMS's USP by paying MS to let the iPod play WPAs (even assuming MS would let them)? Keep the iPod owners, keep the music download sales for as long as possible seems to be their goal - and it's working so far.

I'm sure someone has carefully worked out the point in market shift where it would benefit Apple to change that policy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.