WMD Search Final Report: We Found Nothing

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mactastic, Apr 26, 2005.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Link'd

Hear that flushing sound? That's our credibility going down the toilet. 1600 American casualties, $200 billion dollars, and countless Iraqis dead... for what? Ok so the Iraqi people might end up better off because of this. Maybe, years from now. But that's not why we went to war. We went for national security reasons, and from all accounts, this war has made us less safe. Saddam's scientists might hire themselves out to terrorist groups. Thousands of tons of weapons are floating around the region. Our troops are still in harms way. The Iraqi's voted, and 3 months later we still don't have a government. Billions of American taxpayer dollars are being wasted on infrastructure projects. American companies are gouging American taxpayers. Meanwhile Iraqis continue to die at a higher rate than when Saddam was in power. Our international credibility is in tatters. Oil prices are rising due largely to instability in the market.

What have we gained from this war? And when can we bring our soldiers home?

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

cynically:
    1. war practice
    2. 2nd bush term
    3. foothold in middle east
    4. docile populace
    5. increased funding for military contracters (halliburton, carlyle group, bechtel, et. al.)

mission accomplished!

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

:::sigh::: i cant believe they let bush go to war in the first place without proof....pathetic

oh and zim you forgot to add the Bush 2.0 got to finish off sadam for his daddy

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This is what I don't get- Clinton has sex and gets impeached for lying about it. Who gets hurt? His family. Bush lies about WMD and people don't just get hurt, they die. Then the moron gets re-elected. Call me crazy, but isn't this impeachable? BTW- I was no fan of Clinton either.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

well technically i dont think bush lied, his agents lied, he was just stupid enough to believe them....hes a moron....

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Technically, he lied when he promised to uphold the Constitution of the United States...

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

good and valid point as well

8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I think this one sums it up just fine:

Attached Files:

9. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

What bugs me is people cry about genocide in Sudan, but turn a blind eye in Iraq. We should have taken Sadaam down in the Clinton administration...

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

On what basis?

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Other than that, how did you enjoy the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

BTW, the price tag is at $300 billion now, with the latest appropriations. I believe that works out to roughly $1,000 for every man, woman and child in the U.S. Something to think about in April, when you're writing that check to the U.S. Treasury for services your country has rendered unto its citizens.

12. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

are you saying saddam was engaged in genocide?

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

Fear Tax

14. takao macrumors 68040

takao

you mean Bush sen. right ? he was in charge during the 91 war after all...

(and why was iraq supported during the 80ties anyway huh ?)

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

A blind eye... right. Somebody needs to dig out that photo of Don Rumsfeld shaking Saddam's hand a few years back when he was our best buddy.

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Ah, right. Fear is quite expensive, especially government fear, which has to be created at prevailing wages.

17. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Genocide - n; systematic, planned annihilation of a political, racial, or cultural group

He did gas the Kurds...

18. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

My mistake. The gassings did occur during Bush I. And yes, I do wonder why we supported either Iran or Iraq during their war....

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

While your President was watching. And supplying the equipment.

20. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Commies... that's why. Iran was seen as more closely allied with the USSR so they needed to be checked. It fit nicely into our scheme of meddling in the ME, playing one off the other so they don't form a bloc to oppose us.

21. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Its almost funny, lets see all these dudes that attacked us were from Saudi Arabia, A Saudi Judge today is caught telling folks to Jihad yadda yadda yadda against America. We missed the target. Osama was from this country not Iraq. :mad: Politics,etc dont they suck.

22. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

If you look back through the archives of this forum, you'll see that this was been debunked long ago.

Here's just one source that pops up from a quick Google.

The evidence seemed to indicate the gas was from Iranian shells; it was suspected that some landed off target. Never before or since was Iraq accused of using chemical weapons outside of combat.

Regardless, gassing one city one time hardly constitutes the definition of genocide.

Saddam was no Hitler.

23. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

yep. saddam committed a lot of atrocities, but afaik genocide was not among them.

24. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    the invasion and subsequent occupation of iraq was never about WMD.

i'm still absolutely amazed that so many people bought that story...but then again i'm amazed when i see people waiting in line to actually pay money to buy a hamburger at mcdonalds.

guess that proves theres a large majority of americans who will gladly swallow any sort of crap put forth. :rolleyes:

25. takao macrumors 68040

takao

who ironically didn't use his WMD (hundred thousands tons of Sarin,Soman,Tabun) because he feared that the allies will use them too after he used them and with german cities in bombing distance he didn't want to risk that

actually most people are surprised when they hear that germany _still_ has grenades filled with nerve gas left ... the problem is that they can only be destroyed one after the other with big care (i think they are down to thousand or even hundreds of tons left)
    they didn't drop it into the north-sea like the british army did after WW1 ;)