wmp not getting trashed...

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by abhishekit, Nov 25, 2003.

1. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

Hi
    thers is a wmp installer and a folder lying in my trash. When i try to delete it, it says the files are locked..
    anyone knows how to trash it? or its a rule that if i have wmp (which i have) i cant trash the installer///?

abhi

2. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

I've had this problem too, after upgrading to WMP 9. No matter after how many restarts I could not get rid of the previous version as it kept indicating that some files were still in use. No repair permissions blah blah blah could do anything to solve this so I started up in System 9.2.2 and emptied the trash there. After that, no WMP on this MDD, I use MplayerOSX to handle those pesky .wmv files.

3. abhishekit thread starter macrumors 65816

abhishekit

can you please write in a bit detail how did u do that...how do u start in 9.2.2?

4. slowtreme macrumors 6502

5. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

go into the trash, and find the WMP, and right click on it and choose "show package contents" and then go through the files and folders and see if one has a lock on the icon. Get Info on the file, and click the lock box (no gore jokes please) and it should be unlocked, then you can delete it.

6. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

I'm guessing you're using some sort of version of OSX. In the System Preferences, there should be a Startup Disk pane. By clicking it, you will bring up a menu of folders of which you can startup either in whatever version of OSX you're using or in OS9.2.2. Restart and you'll be running 9 and from there you can trash the file that lo and behold is the thorn in your side. To get back to OSX, under control panels in OS9, select OSX in your startup disk and restart. Presto.

7. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Huh. Didn't know that. But then again, I don't have ANY WM9 content so that doesn't concern me!

8. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-abhishekit

Hold down 'Option' when emptying the trash. It'll kill even locked items.

As for 'still in use', I'm working on it :D

9. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

Even if something's in use, you can usually delete it anyway using Terminal.

sudo rm -r ~/.Trash/*.*

should do it.

10. abhishekit thread starter macrumors 65816

abhishekit

thanks guys...thanks patrick..option worked pretty well..

cheers

abhi