WMP9 crashes in Tiger?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hikikomori9000, Apr 29, 2005.

1. hikikomori9000 macrumors newbie

Just installed Tiger and all is snappy and well... except when I try to launch Windows Media Player 9. It bounces five times, vanishes, and then I get the "application quit unexpectedly" dialog box asking me if I want to Close, Try Again or Report.

I've tried rebooting and reinstalling WMP9, and neither did any good. I looked for a .prefs file and couldn't find one (not even with Spotlight ;).

Any advice? 15" Albook 1.25ghz.

2. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Same problem... solved itself???

I installed Tiger yesterday and had the same problem trying to watch a video last night. However, I just tried it again and it works fine. It seems to have solved itself, I really can't think of anything I've changed. Same video file and everything... Strange...

3. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Spoke too soon

Its broken again. It worked last night, and now its broken again. I can't figure out why. I didn't do anything differently. Leave it to microsoft....

4. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

i am in the same boat. i sent the report to apple but other people seem to use WMP fine.

5. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

This is wierd...

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Most of the time it doesn't. But once it opens properly, it seems to work alright for a little while. The error report says something about an Invalid Kernel something or other. Anybody know a way to fix this?

Here is what it says:
    Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
    Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0x1521188e

plus some other stuff too but I didn't want to post that whole long thing...

6. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Success!!!

I figured out the problem! I think the skin I was using was causing the crashes. Problem is, you can't change it without opening the player (which wouldn't open). So you have to trash the preferences file. Here's the path:

Users/(username)/Library/Preferences/Windows Media Player Prefs

and drag that file to the trash. It should open alright after that.

7. imaduro macrumors member

Thanks Heb1228, it works!!!!

8. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

ahhhh, i was thinking about doing this. trash the pref. file. will do! thanks

9. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

10. NCTRNL macrumors regular

Yep, getting rid of the pref worked for me too