.WMV conversion to MPG or AVI...know anything?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by reykjavik, Oct 20, 2004.

1. reykjavik macrumors 6502

I have a few wmv files that Id like to burn to VCD. Toast does a pretty good conversion with basically anything other than wmv so I need to convert them first. KNow of any software?

2. reykjavik thread starter macrumors 6502

nothin?

3. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

I 'think' it's impossible... just because quicktime can't play .wmv's...

BUT, that being said, I'm probably wrong because there a tonne of unix's apps that have been ported to mac os x which could probably do it. Something like ffmpeg I'd guess.

My question is, If you did manage to convert it, what would the quality be like?

4. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Use Mplayer, or was it VLC.. one of them, you can change the output stream to go to a file. You can even write streams to a file in this way. As long as the video is not WMV9, then it should be able to do it...

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've had trouble doing it with VLC. The most reliable method unfortunately requires Windows, but TMPGEnc can convert WMV to MPEG (although you need to manually choose *.* in the file browser for it to see the files).

6. reykjavik thread starter macrumors 6502

You know whats strange, I downloaded it and tried using it in VPC (I know it would take forever but I got time) and for some reason, even after installing the add ons, I still can't drag and drop files into windows like I was able to with VPC 6....strange....

7. reykjavik thread starter macrumors 6502

I also downloaded Mplayer and don't see any option to export a file or even to save it as something else. Can I get more info on this as it is my only chance?

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

WMV is a proprietary Microsoft format. Actually, it is several proprietary formats. You can be assured that nothing legal can convert files in WM9 or WM10 format. You might be able to find something to convert WM7.

9. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Its in VLC actually sorry.
    You change the output stream to a file instead of the screen.
    You can even transcode at that point. Say to MP4 or something...

10. scan300 macrumors 6502

There's a product coming soon (this quarter) that will allow you to convert wmv to quicktime within quicktime.

It's Flip4Mac and can be found at:
    http://www.wm4mac.com/wmv_mac.htm