WMV Files Choking Up System

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by brbubba, Dec 17, 2006.

1. brbubba macrumors 6502

brbubba

I have a macbook Core Duo and I access WMV files on a windows machine through a share w/ gigabit ethernet. When I directly open any AVI file, any file that is NOT WMV it opens in quicktime immediately and plays perfectly. However, its when I open a WMV file, the larger the file the worse the symptoms, that the Windows system spins its hard drive like crazy and Quicktime literally takes 30 seconds to over a minute to open it. Also if the file is a few hundred megs or more by the time it opens my fans are spinning on loud, which means the CPU is going nuts, but the file hasn't even started playing. The quick solution to this is to open the files in VLC, but I rather like quicktime and would just prefer to use that if anyone has any solutions. Thanks

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Download and install Flip4Mac and DivX for Mac. Also, get the Perian codec bundle.

3. brbubba thread starter macrumors 6502

brbubba

I already have them all installed, otherwise I wouldn't be able to play the files in the first place.

I tested this issue out some more and for 50MB or less files it opens quickly. For anything over 100MB I get a spinning beach ball with the duration of the spinning directly correlated to the size of the file. The larger the file the longer I have to wait for it to open.

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

quicktime+flip4mac's wmv decoding just isn't as smooth as VLC, you have to pay for you choice, don't you?

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It sounds like there is something fishy going on with the way the flip components are trying to get streaming access over the network to the file... but I'm not sure what a solution is short of turning streaming off and copying the files or using another piece of software. :(

Erm, except..perhaps, in the F4M sys prefs pane, try turning off the second item / turning on the third item and see if this makes any difference?

6. brbubba thread starter macrumors 6502

brbubba

Yeah that worked, but then it takes FOREVER to stream the movie. About 2X real time, so forget about jumping to some point say an hour into the movie. You are either watching it straight through or not at all.

Thanks for the help though, I think I will just live with the 30 second delay to load the whole thing up.