wmv files in safari

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nscs1a, Jul 25, 2005.

1. nscs1a macrumors newbie

I am new here and am looking for some help. I am running Safari 1.3. I used to be able to open wmv and wmp files through safari and wmp 9 would open (pop-up) and play the video without downloading. However, I recently did a repair permissions, and now when I click on a wmv file, Safari sends the video to Quicktime (in the browser, not a pop-up) but cannot play the video. I have tried deleting the windows media player and quicktime preferences, have deleted and reinstalled wmp 9, quicktime, and safari - nothing works. Any ideas, short of flip4mac or some other software? Thanks.

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Sounds like the default application needs to be reset for these file types. Right-click or Ctrl-click on one of these files, select 'Open with', then 'Other'. Find and select WMP and then click the 'Always open with' box.

3. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

You know, I used to have the same problem. I had forgotten about it until you mentioned it. I tried to fix the problem including the above suggestion and never got it to work.

Sometime since then it has started working again, but I have no idea why. Sorry this is no help other than to know there is hope for you.

4. nscs1a thread starter macrumors newbie

Appreciate the help, but Safari 1.3 does not allow a ctrl-click "open with". Any other way to set default application?

5. therevolution macrumors 6502

You do this to the Windows media files, not Safari.

6. nscs1a thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm a newbie, so maybe I'm not explaining this correctly. When I go to a site that I used to be able to click on the file in the site, wmp would open and play the wmv file. Now, when I click on the file in the site, Safari launches a new window with the Quicktime logo in the middle, and when the file stops loading a "broken" Quicktime logo appears.

7. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

Find a wmv file on your hard drive...any ol' wmv file. Follow the ctrl-click instructions. OR hit cmd-i and change the Opens With... to Windows Media Player.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

And if you don't have any WMV files on your hard drive, go download one -- from a site where you can direct link so that you can right click the link -- and do what Stevie said.

9. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

How about playing embedded .wmv files?
    I just recently went to a site with embedded files and it gave me a zillion errors saying the files could not be found. When I then clicked on 'display in external viewer' windows media player popped-up and gave me another error.

I fired up VPC just for kicks and went to the site under IE 5 and it worked perfectly :mad: :mad: :mad:

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You have VLC setup under MSIE and WMP under Safari? :eek: *is confused*

Can you link the example? Embedded WMV works for me in Safari 2 and worked for me in Safari 1.3 as well, both using WMP9.

11. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It does the same thing you describe for me in both Deer Park and Safari 2. I looked at the source, and it uses really strange looking syntax to call ActiveX routines to stream the video. I don't think this site is coded in a way that it would work when not running in MSIE. I'd guess the same would be true even on a Windows box.

13. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I'm going to email the guy and tell him his site doesn't work on a Mac. I tried it with Mozilla, FireFox and IE for Mac and none of them worked :(

14. DrRock macrumors regular

^

Similar question:

Is there a way to convert wmv files to quicktime? Or, in general, how do mac users typically play wmv files. Thanks!

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The three major options are:

- Use Windows Media Player series 9 -- available from MS at www.mactopia.com

- Use Quicktime with a plug-in that allows this ability

- Use VLC or MPlayer, OSS for video playing.

I use #1 primarily, and sometimes #3 (VLC). None of these solutions will allow you to play WMV3 files that require WMP10+ on Windows, AFAIK.

16. Cindy macrumors regular

converting over

Someone made me a short video on CD and I would like to know if I can get my mac to read it? It ends in .eml -- I've tried getting it to read in wmp but it won't.

17. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

I looks like someone saved a mail message instead of the attachment inside. If you have Entourage, or a Windows machine with Lookout Explodes on it, you might be able to get the attachment out.

18. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I can't even get Media Player to run now :mad:
    It bounces twice in the dock then disappears, giving me the wonderfully useless 'report to Apple' option.

I even DLed it again and installed again, but no dice.

What a POS :rolleyes:

19. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

this is a new one.. never seen this one before... :p

Attached Files:

20. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Did you go to the site I linked to? That was the error message I got.

Typical m$: Real Helpful :rolleyes:

21. BiggeeC macrumors regular

I had the same problem.................i fixed it.....................however, I forget how I did it. It was something like going into the WMP folder and deleting a certain file or something like that. I'm sorry, but I did it a few months ago, and forgot how. Google it or something, that's what you have to do.

I remember!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have to delete a preference file, then it will work

22. taytho macrumors 6502

all i get is a .sitx file that doesnt do anything after i download wmp..... i cant get any wmv files to play on my ibook.

23. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Ah, you'll need Stuffit Expander to decompress the installer. :)

24. kwajaln macrumors 6502

kwajaln

forget about wmp and download mplayerosx, you will not regret it.