WMV files problems...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MarkW19, Jun 9, 2004.

1. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

When I download certain .WMV files, and try them in either Mplayer (latest version) or VLC (latest version), only the audio plays - no video.

Anyone any ideas?

I've got WMP 9.0, which I've uninstalled/reinstalled about 5 times, but when I double click it, the icon bounces up and down in the dock for about 2 mins not doing anything, then finally stops bouncing (still not doing anything), and I have to force a quit because it's "not responding".

FYI: 1.8ghz G5 w/1.5GB RAM/10.3.4.

Can anyone help?

2. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

It is probably using the wmv3 codec for video. Only the WindBlows!!! version of WMP can play this codec for some strange reason...

3. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I disagree... I think you're referring to the WM9 format, which cannot be played by any app other than Windows Media Player for Mac. VLC and Mplayer do no have the right codecs available. However, I don't know what would cause WMP not to work on your Mac.

5. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

This is based on another thread I was browsing the other day.

It's right here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=74347&highlight=wmv3

Here's another: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=67626&highlight=wmv3

6. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Is there any way to convert these files into a format VLC/MPlayer etc. will be able to play?