.WMV on a CD-R....how would YOU burn it to DVD on your beloved Mac? I wanna do it 2

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by continuum, Dec 18, 2004.

1. continuum macrumors 6502

continuum

I have a movie my friend filmed on his mini-dv camera that he put onto a CD-R in .wmv format and mailed to me. i can watch it on my mac but would like to burn it to a dvd for tv watching. what's the easiest way to do this? thanks!

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I don't think an easy way exists for this to happen. If it's playable in VLC, you might be able to transcode it to something that would be easier to work with, but I'm not sure.

*shakes fist menacingly at people who use WMV/WMA* :mad:

3. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

OK taking a stab in the dark but I'm hoping this will work.

Basically you want to import said .wmv movie into iMovie/iDVD to be able to burn it onto a DVD which will be playable in a commercial DVD player. Catch is (why is there always a catch?!) that iMovie doesn't support .wmv - so you have to convert it - this is where it gets tricky. In the words of Jennifer Aniston, 'concentrate, here comes the science' - download DVD VX, then convert your .wmv file into a .mov/.avi file. From there you can burn it onto a DVD via Toast or iDVD.

If you have access to a PC I think Microsoft has a free convertor that turns .wmv's into DV-AVI's, which is compatible with iMovie/iDVD. Word of warning DV-AVI files are huge.

I hope this helps.

4. live4ever macrumors 6502a

It depends on the version of the wmv codec.

ffmpegX can convert all the earlier wmv codecs except version 9.

5. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

On a windows computer, Windows Movie Maker should do the trick. Though I don't know if you can get full NTSC res. out of it....there may be a limit to 320x240 or something...

6. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

7. continuum thread starter macrumors 6502

continuum

Thanks everyone.... I will try DVD VX since that sounds to be the easiest way prior to actually trying it out. I don't think I'm educated enough on the technical aspects of everything to use ffmpegX as it has confused the hell out of me in the past.

I have access to a PC to try the conversion to DV-AVI but would prefer to lessen the abuse on my body/soul/mind by stooping to the low level of PC use. I love my Mac. Thanks. Will let you know what happens.

8. continuum thread starter macrumors 6502

continuum

OK....DVD VX creates an .AVI file that is 0kb in size. Has anyone actually used this with success? The program runs and does its thing and appears to work but creates an empty .AVI file.

guess I'll try ffmpegX again...

tried ffmpegX....can anyone help me out with this? i have never been successful with this application. what do i do to convert .wmv to any format burnable in iDVD using ffmpegX? I hate to be this lame....

9. continuum thread starter macrumors 6502

continuum

as i continue to be lame and talk to myself...

i'll wait for flip4mac to come out and hope that works. bye.

10. vniow macrumors G4

11. continuum thread starter macrumors 6502

continuum

hey now!

i tore my PC apart and put it in a closet because it collects dust and wastes desk space. it's not urgent so i'll wait for the 1st quarter 2005 option. if that doesn't work...life goes on and i watch it on my computer.