WMV Player

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ClarkeB, Feb 26, 2005.

1. ClarkeB macrumors 6502

ClarkeB

I wish people would stop encoding in this long-dead format! My god...no quality, bad sound, etc. Unfortunately, I have quite a few that won't play in VLC and when I try and open them up in that contraption M$ puts out it opens a web page about WMV Virtual Rights 7 or something and then has a link to their site with a "List of Compatible Players" all for their godawful OS. Does anyone know of a media player that can play WMVs?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If your video is in Windows Media 9 format, then only Windows Media Player 9 can play the video on the Mac. If your video is in Windows Media 10 format, then nothing on the Mac can play it.

Whereas the competition is--however imperfectly--embracing open standards, Microsoft is becoming ever more proprietary. With Windows Media 10, it is worst than that. The latest version of WMV is actually a new security threat to your Windows computer.

My suggestion to you is to use the tools available to you to play the videos and music files that you can play. For those that you can't play, don't worry about them. There are other things in life.

3. ClarkeB thread starter macrumors 6502

ClarkeB

Thanks so much! Micro$oft is such a great company...their web browser is actually a peephole into your windoze box and their video format is a security threat! Wow...cool company :p

4. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

..considering how long WMP10 has been available, I'm kind of surprised there hasn't been anything available yet for Mac users (either a MS or not).

5. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Well Windows Media Player 10 is just the program

I don't believe it is running a new codec, I think its still running on WMV 9 so for MS there isn't any point in updating the Mac version, not that they do that very often anyway :rolleyes:

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Windows Media 10 is intended as a full frontal assault on Apple's iTunes, the iTMS, the iPod, Real Networks, and other full-service content providers. Rather than risking its capital on content acquisition and delivery, Microsoft makes its God-forsaken DRM available to anyone who claims a desire to provide audio or video in Windows Media 10 format.