WMV question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by actripxl, Dec 23, 2004.

1. actripxl macrumors 6502

actripxl

Need a little help here with some wmv movies. I found this website that has a bunch of funny clips, but they are in .wmv and Media Player doesn't give me the option to save. Does anyone know how I can save these clips?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Hold the [option] key while double-clicking on the file that you want to save.

3. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

MisterMe - i'm not sure if you mean to option+click in Safari or WMP?

anyway - this is why i love Safari. you can either right-click if the link to the file is on the webpage, of course. or if that fails you can use cmd+opt+a to bring up the activity window in Safari, then you'll see the site you're visiting, then just un-scroll the arrow and you should see the file that you want to save. then just option+double-click on that file and it will download.

hope that helps. if it doesn't, you might want to let us know which site you're trying to get those from, i could have a look at it.

4. actripxl thread starter macrumors 6502

actripxl

tried both ways and neither worked, the website in question is uselessjunk, try it and let me know. That bear video is awesome.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I tried option-clicking the entry for one of the UselessJunk videos in Safari's Activity Monitor, but it's just sitting there at the "Preparing to download" stage. Is this what you're experiencing?

6. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

!#@$ site!! :mad:

useless junk ins't wrong - that site kept crashing Safari whenever i looked at the 'bear' page! :mad:

well, i got the link for the video:
    http://uselessjunk.net/videos/bear_trampoline.wmv

i tried pasting that in the Safari Dowloads window, didn't work. i had to use Firefox - then open the Page Info window (cmd+i) and go to the media tab, find the clip then click the "save as..." button.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.

All you have to do is to paste the link into the regular address panel. In Safari, the file downloads automatically. As for that other stuff, God only knows what you were trying to do. It certainly is not necessary.

8. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i'm not blaming my tools (Safari & Firefox), only that site.

in Safari even when i paste the URL into the adress bar, it gets redirected to file:///private/tmp/502/TemporaryItems/AOLTemp.html and then opens up Windows Media Player. :confused:

well, if the regular way works for all of you, that's great.

and BTW - when i pasted that URL for the vid into the Safari adress bar, it crashed again. :mad: this isn't just some random problem - it happens every time i try to watch that clip in Safari. :mad: