WOAH! 30GB VM size? Need help! Macbook dying!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Littleodie914, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Hey guys, I'm having a bit of trouble with my macbook. (Actually, I'm having a bit of trouble typing this too, as you'll see why!) Everything is suuuuper twitchy, and rollover effects (like buttons, etc.) are taking up to 10 seconds to appear. I did the first logical thing and checked Activity Monitor, only to find this! Any ideas how to get my memory back? I'm guessing mdworker is the problem, and after a bit of googling I found it was related to spotlight, but I don't know how to fix the problem. I checked the spotlight icon, and nothing's being indexed... I don't know what to do! My poor lappy's almost unusable! Thanks! :eek:

Attached Files:

• Help.jpg
      Help.jpg
      File size:
      92.4 KB
      Views:
  2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Reboot. See if that stops that process going nuts next time! A quick search indicates it's a Spotlight process. Have you just attached a removable disk or something?

3. furious macrumors 65816

furious

See if you can stop that process. Either that or turn off the macbook remove the battery and put the battery back in try that. Leave the battery out for a good while.

repair permissions. You know the drill.

4. Littleodie914 thread starter macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Ah thanks for the help guys, I ended up finding an article on macosxhints.com to disable spotlight, and that fixed the problem. Now though, I can't use spotlight! Any ideas on how to actually fix the problem without entirely disabling the process? :)

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You likely don't have to completely disable Spotlight. A simple reboot should have fixed the problem...did it not? Sometimes you just get processes that are a bit over-exuberant and a reboot fixes the problem.

6. Littleodie914 thread starter macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Nope, rebooted 3 different times. Each time it started up, I gave it about 10 seconds and tried to open something, and bam. Totally soggy. :rolleyes:

7. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Interesting, just checked my Mac Pro and it has 9.5GB allocated to VM. What kind of numbers does everyone else have? I mean what is considered normal? This is with 2GB of RAM.

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

7-10 GB is pretty normal, but it depends on what apps you're running. Note that the number is usually pretty meaningless...it's simply an upper limit on the amount of VM that could be used by the programs you have running. They almost invariably are using much, much, much less.

9. uaaerospace macrumors 6502

Yeah, that's pretty normal. Mine is currently 18.04 GB on my PM G5 with 1.5 GB RAM. It's nothing to worry about.

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Littleodie914

i don't have a solution to your problem...
    but i do have a suggestion.

i would think that an Archive and Install should clear up any issues you're having with spotlight since it is almost definitely a system problem.