Woah daddio! Image burn on a 2005FPW

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Dagless, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I don't know how normal this is so I guess this is where you folks come in. I had a new desktop on my 2005FPW with some very bold (but very small) black text across a light blue background with some other image stuff going on. But I started to notice that if I hovered something grey over the top of the black text that it would 'show through'. Needless to say I was a little shocked, and scared.
    Is this normal with a Dell 2005FPW?

...As I wrote this the text has now faded away. That took a good few minutes. Is something wrong there? Its still there slightly, actually. very faint but there.

2. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

I'm not sure but I believe everything should be fine, old CRT monitors used to get burnt really bad (hence screen savers) but I believe LCD's don't suffer permanent damage from this.

3. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I, too, was under the impression that LCDs didn't suffer from this problem, so if you are I would say that this is not normal and you should have it looked at if it doesn't go away.

4. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Well times passed and its still there. I'll watch a DVD and see what happens then. Otherwise I'll be onto Dell! First mini-dead pixels... I don't know what was up there, but there were just tiny stuck half-pixels, I counted 22! un-noticable pretty much all the time though.

Anywho. I'm trying to think what might have caused this. Magnets? My speakers are about 20cm away from the monitor. They're not regular computer speakers either. but my HDD and everything else is fine...

5. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

Magnets and burnt images are all related to CRTs. the way an LCD works does not allow for the same type things to happen. Simply put the CRT uses magnets to deflect the path of electron beams to produce an image. The beams literally would burn the inside of the screen so you would have a burnt image. Adding a magnetic field to the regulated field of the monitor would deflect and distort the stream of electrons. An LCD uses neither magnets nor electron beams to display an image. instead individual pixels have a liquid crystal in them. a voltage is placed on a thin clear film in front and behind the liquid crystal. when the voltage b/w the two films changes then the crystals become re-aligned to either let in or let out light coming from a backlight source. (this is all simplified, if you want to learn more go to wikipedia they always have good information on stuff like this)

what can happen with LCD is a dead pixel where the crystals fail to re-align and you either get no light coming through the pixel (a black pixel) or all light coming through the pixel (a white pixel) response time is a big important number for LCD screens. it determines how quickly each pixel can change color. slow response time means fast video will appear to be blurry as the pixels can not keep up with the changing images. many video gamers complain about this.

so, if an image appears to be 'burned' into an LCD screen then it might have to do with the response time of the pixels. I have a 2005FPW and love it. I have also never seen this problem, so it might be something wrong with your monitor! If the image remains 'burned' for very long (more than a minute or two) I would defiantly give dell a call (especially if its still under warrantee)

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I honestly didn't know that about LCDs. Thanks!

7. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

unplug the monitor and let it rest for like 10 minutes.... maybe longer

that might work

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I had exactly the same problems on an 20" ACD.

It was a ghotsing / burn in effect. Yes it's true what everyone say's LCD's shouldnt have this problem, but unfortunetly it does happen.

I'd get in touch with dell and tell them it's faullty. My ACD had to go back to a repair center for a new LCD screen. (when it came back, they broke the backlight :( )

9. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Ok! I'll unplug it for a bit. If not I'll be onto Dell in the morning.

How long is the warranty? I've had this screen since Christmas.

10. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

update!

I unplugged the monitor for about 15 minutes but the image was still there.

I changed my desktop image to a solid dark blue. Just that the image was most apparent on grey/blue tones. And the image has seemingly gone back to normal! I took photos for evidence like. But we're normal again!?

Little confused here! Needless to say I'm still getting in touch with Dell. I don't want this getting any worse. I could even send it back because "'I'm a graphic designer and the dead pixels are putting me off my work" :D and that.

What exactly happens when I want a replacement? Will there be times when I wont have a monitor at all?

11. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

wPod has a pretty good summary, but this exact phenomenon has to do with liquid crystal twisting/memory reflex. It's not "normal" but it's also not an egregious fault.

I've noticed it on my Dell monitor (the Windows taskbar will leave an impression of its bottom edge near the top of my screen). My Samsungs have never had this problem. It will go away if the monitor is left in powersave or turned off for several hours, but will probably reappear if an image is left on the screen for some time in that region.

If your display has no dead pixels and an even backlight, I would hang onto it, personally, unless you're prepared to repeat the exchange process several times. In addition to the several day turnaround, you run the risk of getting a replacement with patchy backlighting or dead pixels. These ghost images aren't dead pixels either, so you might have a hard time explaining it to level one customer service monkey at Dell, and if you tell them dead pixels and they get it back and discover none, they might just send it back. I ended up keeping mine because going 9 rounds with Dell wasn't high on my list of priorities (I've done it before both as an individual and in connection with my previous job).