WOAH: New PowerBook's Install DVD is 7GB!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by blackpeter, Feb 9, 2005.

1. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Aug 14, 2001
    So, I usually make copies of all the various install CDs that come with a new Mac and use those while keeping the originals in the box. It's been even easier lately as they have moved to install DVDs, which means less burning.

Tonight, however, I was shocked to find that the install DVD for my new 15" 1.67 Superdrive weighs in at a whopping 7GB! Not only does it contain OS X and the various PB specific apps, but iLife '05 as well. ALL on the same disc. I suppose this is a dual-layer DVD, which means I won't be making any backup DVDs of it anytime soon.
  2. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    Most of it is GarageBand 2. Are you able to do a custom install?
  3. blackpeter thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aug 14, 2001
    I'm sure you can, but can't do a custom disk image. I'd like to be able to make a copy of the DVD, but can't as my PowerBook is incapible of buring 7GB DVDs...
  4. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    My iBook came with several System Restore CDs, where you basically click a couple buttons, then it restores the system to the factory defaults, including all the installs and stuff. And other CDs, that you can use to install the OS itself. That was a couple years ago.

Did Apple change that? Made everything into a basically OS X install, where you can click options, and uncheck what you don't want? And leave everything checked if you want factory defaults? I'm just curious :)

And that DVD must be sweet, no more CD-swapping! :)