WOAH- Nintendo's surprise DS redesign announcement!

Discussion in 'Games' started by GFLPraxis, Jan 26, 2006.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

2. takao macrumors 68040

takao

YESSSS finally.. i just hope it's european price will not be that far off from the other one or will come with a bundle soon... finally holding off was worth it...

now the complaining about the design can finally stop ;)

boy i can't wait

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Brighter LCD's that's always a good thing.

And smaller dimensions. Can we hope the buttons are BIGGER though??? It doesn't matter to me much though, cause I just got a DS, and there is no reason to go buying another one.

4. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

That's sweet. I'm getting this baby as soon as it's available to replace my old one. Love the DS!

edit: Like the little detail of the lights in the right hinge.

5. takao macrumors 68040

takao

somebody made up a size compirasation from the front:

[​IMG]

looks like they scrapped the space below the screen mostly..
    sadly no picture from the side for thickness

buttons + dpad look like same size but seam to be more micro styled (plastic not that rubber)

looks like they removed my biggest problem... the bad buttons...

*looks at bank account*...

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I want it NOW :D

That puppy will look great on my desk full of white mac periphery :D

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I just read about this! was hoping I could post this but meh.

I think that is the most beautiful handheld ever. its just... wow. even surpassing the Micro.
    anyone noticed how it really is quite Revolution like? the D-Pad is straight from the Rev controller.
    also looks like the pyramid shape is gone too.

hells yea I'm getting one :D Have to import one in March! ... rather than standing by Nintendo of Europe and waiting till 2058 *grumbles*

8. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

Here's an interesting news article on the DS lite; comparing it to the ibook and discussing the Nintendo UK bosses' admiration for apple.

LINK

9. mechamac macrumors regular

Aw man! Long live the original DS! Like the one I own.

Very slick little redesign.

10. crachoar macrumors 6502a

I wonder if it has a more obnoxious 'Safety / Health Warning' screen?

Also, I expect new colors. Seriously, what's a brotha gotta do to get a black DS?

11. TheGimp macrumors 6502

Personally I could care less how it looks. Gameplay is what interests me.
    The brighter screen should help to see that game play.

12. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

well I guess i will be selling off my original DS and buying the new one.

13. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Hmmm. I was hoping they'd bring the 2 screens closer on the next DS. Well. Looks good. Better brightness is a big plus.

14. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I just sold my PSP on eBay, I never played it. It wasn't that I didn't like the system, the screen was amazing for playing games and watching movies and it was very well built. It is just that Sony doesn't understand that games need to be completely different on a handheld. Porting games from consoles doesn't work, they have to be created with portability in mind. The only game that I got for the PSP that was a good game was Tokobots.

I might be getting this new DS lite. One of my biggest complaints about the DS was the size and the cheap plastic look it has. This looks to be a very Apple inspired design. My girlfriend has an SP and a ton of games so if I get this, I know I already have a collection of games to choose from. Oh, and the DS games are a lot cheaper than PSP games.

15. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

Looks really good - I like it a lot

Unfortunately, I can't really justify replacing my old DS - it still does the job in terms of playing the games - so I guess I'll just have to glare enviously at other people when they're playing theirs.

16. cubist macrumors 68020

This is the best news I've had all month. Can't wait to buy it! That brighter SP was really tugging at me - now I can have it all! Mwoohoohaha!

17. jdechko macrumors 68040

Dang, I wish I had waited to buy one. I got a blue one right now and its fine, but man, I want a redesigned one. That thing looks awesome. I'd also like it available in black, as I will probably get a black revolution.

Now, and no offense to anybody, but to all those people who said that the PSP was the prettier handheld... HAHA :D

18. iRhyknow macrumors member

iRhyknow

I was holding out for this, it looks better and the screen is better :cool: ! Thanks Nintendo :D !

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It seems a good thing. I especially like the Start and Select buttons being moved since I inadvertently pause a game while playing. I'm surprised that people have trouble with the brightness but I haven't used it outside.

Of course, it's always impressive to get something and then, find that it's being replaced a couple of months later. :D My iPod is a little over a year old but it seems centuries old now.

20. PharmD macrumors 6502

21. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Nice, I really like it. I hope they don't replace the "clicky" D-pad. That pad in the picture looks like the one on the Micro. I wonder where the power button went. ow I gotta start saving again. :rolleyes:

22. debroglie macrumors 6502a

debroglie

I'll probably be buying this.

Sorry for this newbie question, but is my mariokart saved data on my cartridge, or on my DS? Basically, will I have to beat all of those cups again to unlock the characters?

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It's on your cart, but the DS wireless settings are on your DS. not to worry though; you can transfer them to another DS :)

I told my mum this morning "You're not spending more of your student loan on games!" :D probably won't. think as soon as the Rev comes out i'll pick both up on the same day.

24. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Not quite. Your WiFi ID is generated based on your MAC address. If you get a new DS, you'll get a new WiFi ID. You'll retain your old buddy list, but they'll need to re-add you.
    You'll also use your WiFi settings, so if you connect to an encrypted network you'll have to re-enter those.

I know from experience when Nintendo sent me my replacement...:(

However, saved game data stays on the cartridge.

I hope they don't block PassMe 2 with this new update.

25. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Just pre-ordered 1 on liksang.. :D

Soon as it comes out hopefully before europe, the old one will be traded in.. :)