Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coopdog

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2002
The Great Midwest
I got via voice about 6 months ago version 2 (os 9 only). On IBM's site there is a 300MB update to update version 2 full to version 3 full (the most resent version). After about 2 hours of reading bits of famous stories to the comp, it knows your voice pretty well. The best way to dictate to it is using the SpeakPad it's just like Apple's TextEdit app but with a few ViaVoice addons. It does however make mistakes 1 about every few lines. Thats pretty good one word wrong out of 20-none. It gets better over time, the more you talk the more it learns. Well anyways, it is a great app for any student or person that has to type long papers. Just letting anyone who has thought about getting or you guys that have never used it. Does anyone use an app like ViaVoice besides me? Forget about paying $150 for it just get the old version off ebay for cheap then update it for free.

awulf

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2002
South Australia
I tried Via Voice Millenium on my PM7600, it was slow and inacurate.

I have recently bought a PM G4 466, I wanted to try Via Voice on it but just as I tried to plug in the microphone, I found out there was no microphone socket. :(
Oh well.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Via Voice Enhanced Edition doesn't seem too bad, but I haven't upgraded to the Mac OS X version. For me, it's faster to type but for most people using fewer than 8 fingers and two thumbs (no toes please!), Via Voice might be faster.

awulf: Enhanced Edition came with a USB connected headset which worked pretty well and I found to be recognised by Mac OS X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.