woah wait a minute

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mac15, Mar 3, 2002.

1. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I was looking a the gamecube yesterday
    and the processor in it is a IBM power pc 128bit
    why can't apple use this chip and it pretty cheap considering the gamecube is $199 that means the chip in it is really cheap

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Re: woah wait a minute

Long story short, the chip in the GC is way different than a CPU used in a desktop machine.

Lethal

3. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

I would venture to guess that the processor in the gamecube is specifically built for gamming....thats the big difference. I could be wrong because Im just guessing. So is it possible for someone on here to explain this a little more?

4. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

There has got to be a big difference between the two, and I'm sure there is.

5. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

It's probably a G4. When the gamecube was on a TV show last year, the reviewer was trying to explain in non techy terms what powered it and he said it was basically the same chip that the Apple Macintosh uses. It was on the Big Breakfast (a british TV show).

Games consoles are often claimed to be a certain Bit when they're not, they just pick something fast and use that in the marketing. A 64bit GPU would technically be enough for them to market their consoles as a 64bit console, the G4 having a 128bit vector unit could be what they're refering to. Then again it could be the chip on Ati radeon that powers the game cube's graphics.