Wobbly Powerbook??

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by MacBoyX, Nov 16, 2003.

1. MacBoyX macrumors 6502

MacBoyX

I have a new 1GHz PowerBook G4 12" and it wobbles whenever it's on my desk. It wobbles on the back left to the front right axis. Is anyone else having this problem? It's kinda annoying.

Thanks

macboyX

2. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

My rev a 867 12 inch combo does the exact same thing. Wobbles on sme tables and lies flat on others. Unfortunately, I have no idea what the root of the problem is.

3. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Are all four of its rubber feet on the base? It's either the desk is uneven or there is some sort of flex in the metal casing, but if that were the case, you'd think it'd be visual enough to notice it.

4. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

all four rubber feet are on mine. Guess its just a factory accepted case warp. Probably caused by the obscence amounts of heat the thing produces.

5. BrandonRP0123 macrumors regular

Mine does the same thing. If there's the slightest bit of non-level surface underneath it; wobble, wobble. A piece of paper usually does the trick. Repositioning the machine on the surface also helps. Mine does a sort of diagonal wobble (with the machine facing toward you it wobbles between the front left and right rear). It could also be the hint that one of your feet isnt sitting right in its little socket (or coming off). It could also be that one of the feet is worn more than the others. I assure you filing the feet will just make it worse (I've got a buddy whose done just that and ended up getting four new feet on it because it never sat right again).

As always - your mileage may vary.

6. MacBoyX thread starter macrumors 6502

MacBoyX

Thanks for all the feed back. I at first thought it was the battery not sitting right but the more I see it the more I think it's the back left foot not the front right. The case is not VISUALLY warped but maybe it is. I wonder did any one have any success talking to the Apple Care about this? I am sure it has nothing to do with heat. Mine is a Rev B 1GHz and it puts off less heat than my iBook 900 did!

Thanks again for all your responses I guess it's true that misery loves company!

macboyX

7. davebl macrumors member

My brand new 12" AlBook does this as well.

I have found if I put something as small as a folded business card under the corner next to the charging port...problem goes away.

Dave

8. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I use my PowerBook the majority of the time on my bed, so I don't notice any wobble at all. :D

9. cosmicsoftceo macrumors newbie

Solution

I have a 12" PB too, with the same problem. I went to the Apple forum where someone had a solution.

Pick up your PowerBook and "bend" it back into shape. That is, if it wobbles from back left to front right, hold the back left and front right sides and bend them down while pushing the middle of the PB up slightly. Do this gently--it takes almost no force.

You won't feel the case actually bend, but it will change shape just enough that the case doesn't wobble again.

The cause of the wobbling is the Aluminum warping out of shape at high temperatures. But there's no need for AppleCare; Aluminum is pliable enough that you can bend it back as described above.

10. MacBoyX thread starter macrumors 6502

MacBoyX

I tried to do this with no success maybe i'll try a little harder. It's difficult to diagnose because it does not wobble on my desk at work but it does at home.

If this is the Aluminum warping from high heat (i haven't experienced any excessive heat) will this continue to happen?

Thanks!

macboyX

11. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

If it sits flat on your desk at work but not at home then I'd be looking towards the desk for the cause and not the PowerBook.

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I still think the user is warped and the PowerBook is fine.

With an outside chance it could be the desk.

13. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Hello, This is my first post so please forgive me if I mess this up. My 12'' PB was also warped like everyone has described. It drove me to the point where I had to call Apple and have them fix it. The lady I spoke with said she had never heard of anything like this before, and that there was no common solution. Thus, I got the joy of sending my PB to Apple, and they fixed it for me. On the shipping slip it came back with it said they bent back the bottom cover. That was it. Whole thing only took 2 days total, so not that bad. Good luck in you dealings.

14. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

Man, I thought that my desk was just screwed up. Has anyone else had any luck dealing with Apple on this. I have Applecare, but I haven't bothered to call them yet, didn't think that they would want to help me. I don't use it on the desk that much, but when I do, it sure drives me nuts:)