Wolfowitz tapped for World Bank

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Don't panic, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

wolfowitz to head world bank?

I can hardly think any worse choice for that position. Let's hope that the europeans will use their veto power.

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, I'm glad to see the Europeans are objecting. I hope they get their way.

Given what's going on in this country, I don't think the selection should even be an American.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://www.reuters.com/financeNewsArticle.jhtml?type=bondsNews&storyID=7922082

How much did they pay him? An impressive record in which field? Chicken-falconry?

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Another Take

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/news/archives/world_news/2005/03/16/from_wolfensohn_to_wolfowitz.html

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

And Another...

http://www.ips-dc.org/comment/wolfowitz.htm
    Sounds like a popular choice all round.

6. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I know this is supposed to be funny, but I shudder to think how close to the truth it might be.

7. diamond geezer macrumors regular

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

My first thought was, thank God it isn't Carly. :rolleyes: But this might be even worse. Bono is looking like a better and a better option..... :eek:

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

BTW, this didn't happen because the previous World Bank president, James Wolfensohn, was resigning or reached some sort of term limit:

Link

So this is a very deliberate effort by Bush to take his neo-con scheme international.

If Wolfowitz does get in, God forbid, I expect to see countries being made to agree to "conditions" in order to receive aid. Those "conditions" will probably be allowing U.S. companies to open sweatshops in their lands. Bush and Wolfowitz will trumpet it as spreading capitalism, prosperity and democracy to Third World countries, while in reality they will be creating a new generation of indentured servitude in order to line the pockets of Bush's friends.

Absolutely, appallingly disgusting. :mad:

10. takao macrumors 68040

takao

looks like the media media got a new victim... i think headlines like "the wolf wearing the wolf-fur" don't need any further links ;) ... in Unreal Tournament it would be called "rampage" .. i heard not single positive word about his nomination

thanks to the 30% the EU alone has (compared to the 15% the US has) it does look good enough...just a few more countries are needed to block him

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I can point you to some of the positive things people are saying here... of course it's all administration talking heads, but you know how it goes.

12. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

13. takao macrumors 68040

takao

hardly... ;) (i had to read it like ...3 times in school..german teachers seriously love that book)

i suggest 2.1. with the monologue and perhaps the famous dialogue in 2.16. including the famous "Gretchenfrage"

(available here in german for free: http://gutenberg.spiegel.de/goethe/faust1/faust_to.htm ... yes i have that as a bookmark... the older i get the more i like it)

14. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Unfortunately, Billy C. was a big proponent of Free Trade and Latin America has paid a huge price for his advocacy. Look at Mexico. They are now the second largest importers of American beef and pork simply because of massive US subsidies to US farmers and the lack of any mechanism in Mexico to protect themselves from us. Free trade, like democracy for all sounds good but when forced upon a country the result is rarely desirable for anyone but big business. gw & co. are only carrying on, albeit far more ruthlessly, what has always been official US policy. The World Bank and the IMF have been the ruin of many a country, mostly at the behest of the US.