wolfowitz: "Who cares about a little terrorist in Afghanistan?"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Mar 21, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. wwworry macrumors regular

the scary thing is that the taliban still control large parts of Afghanistan or have retaken control. Also, Afghanistan has reclaimed its spot at the top of world opium suppliers.

Bush talks about Iraq but the real enemy gets stronger.

3. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

Care to share what "large parts" of Afghanistan the Taliban still controls or has retaken control of?

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It's probably more accurate to say that the Afghan government continues to have little authority outside of Kabul. Most of the country is run by tribal warlords, whose loyalties are for sale.

5. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

How exactly are the links related the Taliban?

6. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i never said they were. i thought you and others might like to know what's been going on there the past few weeks.

is your sole criterion for judging the situation in afghanistan "to what extent have the taliban come back?"

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Did they ever go away? If so, who is carrying out the daily attacks on foreigners and ISAF? And who are all those US soldiers fighting? Ghosts?

8. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

it very much seems like once kabul was captured, attention was focused elsewhere. the taleban went into hiding and most of the country fell once again under control of the warlords.

karzai was put into power, underfunded and basically left w/ a mess. but by then, the administration was already making its iraq war case.

9. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

My criteria to this particular thread is....

I'm simply trying to find out how much control the Taliban still holds. I thought you were trying to provide links to back his statement. If you weren't then I apologize.

10. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

no worries.

the NYT article about women lighting themselves on fire had some reports on what it's like to live in the countryside under control of the warlords. unfortunately, the rest of the article seems to be available only if purchased (i first read it a few days ago).

wrt the taleban, i don't know. they're clearly still operating, it's hard to ascertain from here what would constitute "control" or who actually has it in what quantities.

regardless, my reason for starting the thread was to inform how little the administration was paying attention to the terrorism threat pre-9/11, as nicely summed up by wolfowitz's (outrageous) statement.

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

My question was rhetorical.... :)
    But thanks for the analysis.

12. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

on my headstone: "He answered rhetorical questions"

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

That's cool: so did Cicero :)

14. wwworry macrumors regular

Last weeks New Yorker had a big article on it. Which is not on thier web site now.

but also this:
    Bush lapses have only helped al-Qaida

I know it's Krugman so you won't believe it

and

http://www.japantoday.com/gidx/news278527.html

http://www.truthout.org/docs_03/080503A.shtml

just look up on google news about fighting in Afghanistan with Al Qaida and the Taliban. It's not over yet.