Woman aged 63 pregnant by IVF.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by UKnjb, May 4, 2006.

1. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

A British woman, a child psychologist, has been made pregant following IVF. She will be aged 63 by the time the baby is born in 2 months time.

Link

Something that should be applauded?

2. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

So she'll be over 80 when her child goes to college? I guess WalmartUK will always need greeters.

This really bothers me - I don't have a problem with IVF, but she needed it because her body had told her that child-making time was over. That is too much manipulation of nature for me to be comfortable. I certainly hope that her actuarial tables have her living until the child is at least 18 (although, ideally much later).

I can just see it now - "that's your mom? she's older than my grandma..." So much fun for a five year old...

3. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

i thought that once you are over the age of 40 that the chances of having a child with diseases was 1:12 or did they not use her egg.

*didn't read article*

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Not her egg. It's donated which kinda makes me think if she really wanted another child that won't be her 'natural' child, why not pay for a private adoption?

She's a child psychologist so I guess she feels she'll be able to bolster the child against her death if it's early. And she and her husband appear well off enough to be able to afford the support they'll need to care for a child since less energy is going to take its toll!

I do tend to think that it's slightly selfish since although she wants a child and I'm sure it will be loved, I can't help thinking that the kid will lose out on some aspects of family life - although other kids born to younger mothers can be equally lacking without anything being thought odd.

5. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

While I don't disagree with the abilities that science has to offer to women who want to get pregnant and can't. I think that she would have indeed been better off adopting a child. There are so many childen in the world that need a good home, and I would assume that she will be able to provide a good home to the baby that is going to have, and so I would have rather heard that she was adopting.

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Ew. You know, just because science can do something, doesn't mean they should. Don't these people read science fiction?