Woman Arrested, Cuffed for Eating Candy

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by applemacdude, Jul 29, 2004.

1. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

3. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    here

They busted Fawn Hall for a bananana back when she was in the news...

The DC Metro police probably get more respect than the normal police.

4. knicksfan58 macrumors member

5. mac_gal macrumors member

I saw that story too ... those metro police sound a little nuts:

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Does this police department also kick the dogs that wander into the station?

Our Sheriff's Department here recently killed a dog (while making jokes), drove the swat tank over a neighbor's car, fire several rounds of teargas, stormed a house in full gear terrorizing a mother and baby inside, and burned a house down -- all at the same time -- while serving a misdemeanor warrant out of Tempe for a traffic accident last Friday.

Of course they found an antique shotgun in the house, so these people deserve to lose everything they owned including the family dog. :rolleyes:

7. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

What a crazy story! Like the woman told the Police, don't they have anything better to do?

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

She knew, she pushed it. Why? If she'd just stopped where she was and finished it, she'd probably have been okay.

I think the SEPTA (Philadelpha area transpit) police were pretty patient overall, but they probably would have cuffed someone for outright refusal.

Perhaps, the candy company could make an ad about how irresistable their chocolate bars are. "You can put me in jail before you can separate me from my chocolate."

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

The issue is that the candy bar was in her mouth. So what, we can't chew gum here in the subway? Cops that couldn't get a job on a regular police force.

Metro is so screwed up here. They also got rid of the parking attendants and replaced them with mandatory SmartCards (cost of the card is $5). Why? Because the parking lot attendants stole money from the parking lots for something like three years before Metro found out. Metro never did a monthly audit even.

10. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Did the 12 year old push it or the Paulsy victim in a wheelchair? This is just stupid, plain and simple. Seriously my car was stolen a few years ago and they never found the guy who did it, but they can bust the child eating a fry on the platform. I thought they were there to protect and serve?!

"Don't they anything better to do"

Guess not.

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Apparently, they were pushing it.

The rule is to not do it. If you do it you're breaking the rule. It's pretty simple, even plain. People constantly think "oh, that doesn't apply to me" or "that would never happen to me" even when it does apply or could happen.

It's like all these people who get got running red lights around here. "I didn't do anything wrong." Of course, they did.

As far as protect and serve goes, imagine slipping on the ice and soda someone dumped on the platform and ending up on the tracks. Trains are a bit more of a headache than following the rules.

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It sounds as though the fair thing would have been just to give her a warning. She had already put the candy bar in her mouth just as requested. Also had properly disposed of the wrapper properly into the trash.

13. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

yea, she asked if he had anything better to do...but on the other hand, she finished the bar, was polite about that, and figured the issue was done with. the officer arrested her for not stopping for a citation she didnt seem to know she was getting. seriously, it does not sound like they pushed the envelope waaay beyond where its reasonable to simply warn someone. even if you want to argue this woman was in the wrong, don't you think a 12 y/o would benefit more from a friendly warning??? it's not like they're warning the kid about a gun or something serously dangerous here. its a french fry.

14. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    anal metro cops!!! this nitpicking is pad press and while they are arresting 12 year olds and hungry women who is stopping the so called terrorists from attacking if there even are any

someone give thema krispy kreme

15. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I guess I'm the only one who has ever seen people slip on the platform. Sure, the 12 y.o. could use a friendly warning, but I think more tweens and teens are defiant than adults.

16. bluebull macrumors member

I remember the story about the girl getting handcuffed for eating fries. Apparently, they asked her if she knew it was not allowed and she said yes.

But, yeah, I think the metro cops were a bit over-zealous in all these cases.

17. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I'm still wondering why there's an eating ban at all...

"HEY YOU! YOU WITH THE GUM! THAT COULD CONTAIN SARIN!"

:rolleyes:

18. zoetropeuk macrumors regular

After reading the story and then the replies to this thread I'm just dumbfounded. As an outsider looking in (living in the UK) stories like these really do make Americans look stupid. I'm sorry but it's true. I've travelled on various rail systems, the metro, the tube etc and having a ban on people eating is hilarious.

I commuted to work for two years on the tube (London) six days a week and the only time people ended up on the track was by jumping. Now to use the fact that eating on the platform is dangerous is just downright laughable. And if it's a litter issue then don't put bins (trash cans) on the platforms. There are no bins in any tube stations or train stations in the UK due to the threat of being blown up and they are generally very clean.

Having to impose a law against eating to stop people littering just goes to show the level of respect Americans have for other people and property. It should never have reached the point where a law is needed but I guess it's an easy way for the local government to raise revenue by issuing fines. And I thought America was the land of freedom, man you can't even eat on a train platform, what next ?

19. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Hey, when did you turn into a police state over there? I though Blunkett was bad but maybe he's a liberal after all ;)

20. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

21. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Hehe, what you're saying has a lot of truth to it and I couldn't agree more. Some things that are done in the US are just downright hilarious and don't make this society seem like it's the smartest ever(no offense). It's just that it always makes me laugh when I watch the news and it's like "Don't do (insert your favorite daily action) or you could get (insert your favorite health/life threatening disease/action/etc.) or even better: "There are killerbees on their way from south america to the west coast." I think this statement was made about 8 years ago... and they still haven't arrived... maybe they're picknicking somewhere :D .
    I mean seriously I have never seen a society so based on and around fear(of life/health threats or fear of being sued,etc.) like the American society. It made me laugh too when that woman got a couple millions from McDonalds when she was stupid enough to drive with the coffee between her legs and spill it. There is no other country where you can get rich with your own stupidity. In this respect I think the liability issue is one and the fear issue the other which is causing these ridiculous actions.
    And whoever said that America is the country of the free.... :D should read the constitution and compare it to what's really going on.
    And before anyone jumps on my bandwaggon... I 'm not trying to be political here, these are just observations I made.
    Oh and I forgot sth., I think it's way more dangerous to trip over a banana and fall in front of a train than to be killed by someone who owns a gun in the States... :D

22. sonyrules macrumors regular

Someone should just take a food stand down there and open it up. So how that works... :rolleyes:

23. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I think the debate here is about the difference between the rule of law and justice. Did the Woman break the letter of the law? Yes. Did she break the spirt of the law? Well if the spirit was to keep the transit system clean and the patrons safe from accidents. Then no she didn't. It clearly states that the candy bar was in her mouth and she threw the wrapper in the trash. There was no cleanup or saftey problems of a result of her actions.

To me it feels like these 'transit cops' were just trying to throw their weight around, and I find this quote really misguided in this circumstance:
    Was she a terrorist??? NO Was she some punk trying to snatch purses or graffitti tag a subway wall?? NO. If such "security concerns" truly exist then I hope these cops would be more concerned with some nut trying to blow up a train than a woman having a snack and isn't really breaking the rules!

It's events like this that makes me hope people will gain a little more perspective on what's really important, and the difference between the letter of the law and justice.

24. plus_c macrumors member

And let's not forget about the Red Line, which has been 15-minute delayed for four days now from a rainstorm. Although judging from your handle, I would guess that doesn't really affect you.

Honestly, Metrorail should have better things to do with its time and money than to bust people for chewing inside a Metro station.

25. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

So its the cops fault if they can't find the dude who stole your car?

At leas the cops are doing their jobs, enforcing the law.

Like it or not, we have laws for a reason, and if you break them, you pay the consequences.