Woman Broils Apple PowerBook

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by vniow, Feb 6, 2003.

1. vniow macrumors G4

http://homepage.mac.com/aaronsteele/Personal8.html

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Maybe she was thinking of making an Apple pie...

3. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

maybe it was her kid or something?
    i don't get how you accidentaly do something like that

4. Fender2112 macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

First question: Why did she do this? To bake a computer for 20 minutes requires some conscious effort. This was no accident.

Next question: What did she expect the retailer to do?

I have a feeling alcohol was somehow involved :D

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

we all know people that shouldn't be allowed to have kids... now we have people that shouldn't be allowed to have laptops...

perhaps an elderly relative thought it was a new-fangled cookie sheet... that's a bit far-fetched but the only thing i can imagine.

oooohhh wait, i know... her husband has been having an online affair :) that explains everything...

pnw

6. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

Hopefully it was one of her kids if she has any, because if not, she may be the dumbest person.

7. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

what the hell, most people would die to have a tibook and this dick goes and cooks one, why not give it away if your gonna do something dumb with it, sheesh

8. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I can imagine hearing this person saying

'well sure I tried to chop it, but is wouldn't so I just baked it'

Wow... I had to say wow...

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

10. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I wonder how hot she cooked it?

Maybe she just got fed up with it or something, but I can't see why, because it's an expensive computer, and she went to get it fixed...

There could be hundreds of reasons why this could've happened, but all of them point at her being the idiot...

11. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

revenge?

maybe it burned her lap.

"i'll show you what hot is!"

12. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

Where's the explosion?

If that lady was dumb enough to bake her PB, I bet she didn't bother to take the battery out. If this was the case, wouldn't it have exploded?

13. pantagruel macrumors regular

well its just a story on a mac page, not an actual news site or anything so who knows how true it is, it just doesnt make any sense.
    dumb woman if she really did it, I mean if it was a pc then Id understand, I mean you do get frustrated with windows, but a tibook. c'mon folks.

14. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

File this under "dumb crime"....

It reminds me of that expression: "Dumber than rocks..."

I'm surprised the battery didn't explode... how dangerous...

15. zer0army macrumors regular

Here is what I think happened

I'm guessing that maybe she went on a trip and wanted to hide the Powerbook somewhere in case someone broke into the house, just like how people hide money and expensive items when they are gone. So she choose the oven as here hiding spot. Then when she returned home she was hungry and put the oven on to preheat!!!!:p

16. bentmywookie macrumors regular

This seems like a plausible situation.

Woman finds out husband is cheating with an internet friend and in a fit of rage takes it out on the poor powerbook.

Or . . .

was she just jealous because the husband loved the Mac more than her? Hmmm . . .

17. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

maybe it wasn't her TiB, maybe she wanted to trash something of someone's from a fail relationship, maybe she wanted to test the limits of apple technology, maybe she is just a stupid bitch, my money is on the last one!

18. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

True story here...

I know someone who baked a Dell laptop a couple years ago on accident. A guy I worked with bought his fiancee a new laptop for her Birthday. He took it out and loaded a ton of programs on it and set up everything for her. Then he wrapped it up and put a bow on it. As he was finishing applying the bow his fiancee got home. He was in the kitchen and was trying to hide it. He popped it in the oven knowing she would never look there, she never cooked. So then he goes upstairs to get changed and comes down about 15 minutes later and goes to get the laptop out of the oven. She was in the living room.

He goes to the oven and boom it was warm. He checked and it was turned on. He flips out. It seems that his fiancee turned the oven on because she didn't want to go out to dinner and felt like reheating some lasagna.

It wasn't melted as bad as the PB described above, but there were some funky parts and it was unsalvageable.

19. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Preheating the oven sounds like a feasible explanation - but you're assuming it was an accident :D

Who knows - anyway, very cool and most amazing was that it still worked after all that damage. I'm surprised Apple didn't do something with it - Like the old Timex ads -

Takes a Baking and Keeps on Working..

D

20. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

How bout this for an ad concept...

Unlike you, it still works when baked.

21. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Or, if you don't like baked, how 'bout toasted:D

22. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Well some people have found that if a hard disk does not work and there is important information that needs to taken off, wrapping it in foil and cooking it in the oven for a few minuites will make it work again for a few miniutes. Normally just long enough to get the vital info off. I doubt this was the case with the women, I am just saying there are lagitimate reasons for cooking computer hardware.

23. Perci Mac macrumors member

He he, some people are crazy. Pay 2500-3000 for a power book only to destroy it in your oven. Crazy!

24. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

Interesting... even if it makes me cringe...

I cringe when I hear about such things for no other reason that it may encourage more people to bake their laptops. Personally, I would love to hear the motivation behind such behavior... er, no, maybe not... the truth is often way more strange than fiction...

25. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I'm wondering if she greased the pan before?

heh...funny thing...we've been talking about "stupid people" here at work for a few days now...

I'd like to hear her side of the story more... :rolleyes: :D ;)