Woman drops her children in the SF bay

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by watcher2001, Oct 22, 2005.

1. watcher2001 macrumors 6502a

watcher2001

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051021/ap_on_re_us/children_in_bay

This along with the story of the guy driving around with someone sticking out of his windshield makes me seriously doubt whether the human race should go on.

2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

What the...??

Is there free wifi on the moon? I just may have to move there to get away from stuff like this...

This makes me so sad..

3. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

I hear you loud 'n clear. There are times when I think the end is nearer than we think.

4. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

I hear you loud 'n clear. There are times when I feel the end is nearer than we think.

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Extremely sad -- I wouldn't be so quick to condemn. This is also a failure of those around her... and the authorities who should have been more closely monitoring her.

There is no question that she was unfit to be a guardian -- particularly when threats against her children had already been made.

I reserve my ire and cold hatred for those with no prior history of mental health problems who when leaving a relationship decide to kill the partner and children, often committing suicide themselves.

6. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

My apologies for the duplicate post ... please remove. A small flashlight in my hand dropped onto the keyboard and caused a little confusion.

7. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

Hmm ...
    Are you sure the confusion occurred after you dropped the flashlight?
    What were you doing with the flashlight anyway? :eek: ;)

Back on topic ... I agree with BV.

I guess it varies around the world, but I see the same patterns - "authorities" (and I use that word reluctantly) are very keen to interfere in peoples' lives when no interventions are required, then turn around and claim NO accountability when tragedies like this "happen".

The tragedies don't just "happen". This had enough leading indicators to justify intervention.

End of rant.

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Sometimes though these things can only be seen in hindsight. This woman had been trying to straighten her life out; perhaps the authorities backing off a little was a reward for what she'd managed to achieve in coming off one drug without apparent side-effects. If she'd worked to achieve something and still been under constant supervision, then she might have decided what was the point since if they're going to watch you anyhow, why try to improve? It's a fine balance between enough and too much supervision. Unfortunately it's ended up tragically in this case.

9. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I'll point a cantenna at the moon for ya. 12 hours a day only though... ;)

10. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?

Personally, I'm not sure if someone that screwed up in the head deserves to have their children. I know social services isn't a great thing, but better them be alive and in a chaotic life then killed by some looney bitch. I would have much rather heard about her painting the walls with her brains then killing her own children. Awful. This is the reason why we should torture murderers. To stop it from happening...or at least, lower the rate.

11. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Sad really.

However this is nothing new of a parent or parents taking they and their offsprings life due to depression. As of late its either happening a lot or its been covered on the media with more air time. Not to say that this used to never happen in the past and everything was covered up or its this day and age where everything is covered in detail by the media.

People get depressed for many reason, some tend to take comfort in it, strange however true. We all get depressed from time to time and, some more than others. It's how we cope with it and bring ourselves out of it, by resorting to prescribed medication does not really fix the issue its a patch solution.

I have noticed that doctors will never treat something, instead they will prescribe drugs to fix the outcome.

Is the world coming to the end, or has the human gene pool trimming its self. Interesting indeed.