Woman fired for protecting grandchild from Katrina

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, here's a trip into the stone-cold heart of corporate America:

Yeah, but at least Positronic made cash donations to hurricane relief. Kinda gives you a warm, fuzzy feeling all over, doesn't it?

Linque

2. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

That is ****ing unbelievable...im disgusted...

3. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

guys come on. get real. this corporation has a duty to its shareholders to make money and nothing more. **** employees!

4. mpw Guest

She forewarned her employer she wouldn't be available to work, one assumes she informed them why and for how long.

I would imagine that the employer would have a duty to at least forewarn her that they would have to let her go if she choose this course of action.

If they didn't I think she need to find an employment lawyer, if they did she should've already found both a lawyer and a PR agent. Either way she's going to get paid!

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

what the company did was crappy (they should rehire her under extenuating circumstances). however, the company was well w/in its legal rights and doesn't owe her anything. most employment is at-will, meaning the company can fire an employee at any time for any (non-discriminatory) reason. missing work is such a reason.

dunno is barb was under contract or not, if so that makes it a little more tricky. however, even if she was, i'm making a guess that she violated the terms of that contract by missing days she didn't have to burn. again, the company would be under its legal right to fire her.

morally, i think they're in the wrong, but legally, i think they're okay.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yep. The only way she's getting anything from the corporate folks is to shame them into it. But even so, I think I'd be looking to move on if my employer was that strict and the excuse was that good.

I'd be calling a PR agent and looking for a different place to work.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Basically she knew what would happen if she didn't find a babysitter, or use day care.

8. tristan macrumors 6502a

Well, I'm pro-free enterprise but anti-stupidity, and Positronic is just being stupid. Let the negative PR fly! All because they didn't want to give one grandmother a few days off to deal with a national crisis and natural disaster.

9. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

agree.
    the negative publicity will cost them n-times more then the lost hours.
    they might be legally in the right, but what pettiness.