Woman found dead in apartment... 35 years later.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by noaccess, Jun 19, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502

Linky

For some reason, other sources are reporting she died 42 (!) years ago, in the '60s. Either way, pretty depressing how someone could go unnoticed for so long. :eek:

2. macrumors member

3. macrumors 68000

Antares

Crazy. I guess rent is free in that building...

Top story in News of the Weird.

4. macrumors Core

incredibly sad story. made even sadder by the neighbors and other tenants main concern.

5. macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

6. macrumors 604

iShater

I agree with you, for the first time I think. :D

Just imagine living people who are in a really bad shape and nobody notices. :(

7. macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I just knew you would come around, sooner or later.

Harsh to say, but life is for the living, especially in this case where no family is grieving.

This is why New Yorkers peruse the Death Notices, looking for rent-controlled "opportunities".

8. macrumors Core

sure she's not. but its a bit disheartening to see people immediately clamoring for her stuff. greedy people we are.

9. macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

35 years is hardly immediately clamouring! :p

10. macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

But for that "greed", she would still be undiscovered.

And for how long??

The woman's life deserves closure, with the usual trappings of the day.

For me??? .... Meh. ;)

11. macrumors 68000

marbles

snippet
    What do you mean ?. they like look for folk who have died and then steal there place or want to rent the place the dead person lived cos real estate premiums ?

weird either way

12. macrumors Core

she's had closure for the past 35 years i'd say. being buried in the ground doesn't equate closure or any sort.

no, but as soon as its discovered, its greed time.

13. macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

The second one.

The early bird gets the apartment.

14. macrumors 6502a

tsice19

I truly do feel sorry for this woman. No family, no friends, to miss her when she doesn't come around.

You'd think after she didn't pay the rent they owner would come and try and kick 'er out.

15. macrumors 6502a

Sayer

Wow. They have Democrats in Croatia too. When they run out of apartments is the government going to nationalize all office buildings instead of letting construction/real estate companies build new ones?

16. macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I think that's a translation mistake.

I imagine that some sort of communal bill was going unpaid, maybe for rooftop renovation or something, and possibly the tenants committee decided to force entry to seek payment.

17. macrumors 68020

JML42691

I'm assuming that too, it must have been a translation error, but even then, wouldn't you be somewhat alarmed when you don't see your neighbor at all through 35 years, granted, many people probably came and went, but I would have been surprised to not see my neighbor after a week or two, yet alone 35 years.

18. macrumors 6502a

teflon

Well it depends on the relationship between the neighbours in that building and how well the neighbours knew the woman. I've lived in a "gated community" of townhouses for two years, and I can say that me or any of my family wouldn't notice if one of the neighbours disappeared as most people don't really interact with each other. The families with younger children interact a bit more often as their kids play together, but for most neighbours, everyone is just a face that you pass by once in a while. Save for maybe one or two families, I really don't know who my neighbours are.

19. macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

come on I know there are people in the apparment next to mine but I have not seen or heard from them in months. The only reason I know some one lives there is the entry mat and somes a bag a trash by the door to be taken down the next morning. Never seen the person and think nothing of it.

20. macrumors 68040

tdhurst

huh?

That's so sad. People shouldn't be isolated like that, man. The world is just one big community.

21. macrumors 68020

JML42691

I didn't mean it like actually having contact with them, I meant more of the things that you are noticing with the people near you. Hearing doors open, noise inside, trash, ect. Just little things like that which show that some activity is going on.

22. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It's reality. Teflon's situation is the norm, not the exception.

23. macrumors regular

I just finished reading this story and I find it quite sad. It's hard to believe that her neighbors and family didn't look for her.

But, wow, 35 years... One would think that someone would have missed her and became concerned.

24. macrumors 6502a

teflon

It is, but everyone is so busy with their own lives that they don't really go around poking their head in everyone else's (and I don't mean it in a negative way). We all have our own friends and families, and spend our spare time with them instead of our neighbours.
    However, it also depends on the place. In my parents' apartment complex many neighbours are quite close to one another. In fact, a neighbour has a key to our house in case someone locks themselves out. But again, having young kids help as my parents first connected with the other neighbours because the kids were playing together. Couples that have no kids or have older kids don't have nearly as much connection.

Not a lot of people pay such close attention to their neighbours. Especially in an apartment building, who knows if the door you heard closing was the one beside you or across. Also you don't put your garbage outside your door, you put it in the shared garbage place. So no one knows if you have taken out the trash or not. In the apartment building that I used to live, I don't recall hearing much of my neighbours as they're pretty quiet.

Yea, because if you think about it, everyone comes home from work/school, tired, and just drives straight into their own garage. Then they either do more work or spend some time relaxing or socializing, in their own house. It's not like you can just go knock on your neighbours' doors and hang out when you're bored.

25. macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I wonder how badly they want the loft now.