Woman to build house out of 747

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Blue Velvet, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

A California woman is going ahead with the construction of a house made of elements from a 747 Jumbo jet.

Francie Rehwald wanted her house to look "feminine", have curves and be eco-friendly. Her architect's answer was: "Let's use a 747!"

The wing of the Boeing jet will be used for the roof, its nose as a meditation temple while its trademark "bulge" will serve as a loft.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4926216.stm

[​IMG]

2. iShane macrumors 6502a

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

4. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

The conference room at work has a large table spanning the front made from two airplane wings and a nosepiece for the center. The coffee room table is a tailpiece 'wing' as well. I'll try and remember to take a picture.

5. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

Exactly. Getting woken up in the middle of the night by the house screaming "windsheer...windsheer" may be a bit tramatic.

6. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Kinda remins me of an article in The Onion I read a while back [Area Family Likes Car So Much They Live In It]

"the double sun visors help shield the family from the glare of sunrise and make a "pretty workable" place to hang clothes to dry.":)

But to be fair, this must be the first time it has been suggesteed that a 747 has been considered eco-friendly!

7. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

8. jhu macrumors 6502a

jhu

hmmm... might get cold in the winter and too hot in the summer. metal is a good thermal conductor.

9. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Very much so. It would have been much more manly to use this:

Attached Files:

10. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

The pull quote in the article blows my mind:

Is this what we've come to? Nature as mechanization?

Soon, sleek, gasoline guzzling, flight-capable women will be preferred.

[​IMG]

Despite all of this, I do think the house will be pretty cool -- living in the detritus of what we've alredy consumed.

11. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

When she returns home after a day at the office, does she hear the words, "Now arriving at Gate 5 ...?"

12. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Now when she loses something she can't blame it on airport baggage handlers as the rest of us do :p

13. iGav macrumors G3

Hopefully she'll give Kevin a call, because this series has been pants so far, and that house looks 'splendid', :D

14. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

An aluminum (airplane wing) roof? that sound like it will be pretty loud if it rains...and she has a "meditation temple"? What the heck is a meditation temple? I would take the cockpit and make it into a flight sim. Now that would be a good use of an old 747. :)

15. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Not really, the lift of an airplane wing is provided due to a difference in pressure from the bottom to the top. If there isn't wind going under the wing, it won't "fly" off the house.

That design is the least house like design I've ever seen. Seriously, look at all that glass, it will need constant maintenance (cleaning), and glass is just a stupid building material for a house.

EDIT: I dig the waterfall pool, but talk about upkeep. Sheesh

16. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I'm thinking the toilet is going to be really cramped.

17. iGav macrumors G3

Not seen this then. ;)

18. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

You know, given her family's reported business dealings, something tells me that it's not going to be her out with the Windex every weekend.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/04/20/jumbo_house_project/

19. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    While I think that impression looks stunning, the only bits I can recognise in it are the wings! That might be due to the champagne tasting I've just been to at work but I'm really not sure I'm seeing the rest of the fuselage!

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I love this. This is sort of like saying, "Hey, honey, let's have a wedding theme that the girls can really get into."

"You're absolutely right. How 'bout if we do a Star Trek themed wedding?"

"Please? I'll let you be Seven of Nine."

:D

Although, I do have to say, the idea of using an old plane to make a house is intriguing. Plus, all kinds of great flotation devices and air masks from the ceiling... the possibilities are endless. :)

21. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

There used to be an ad in ebay for a couple years advertising a house to be built by mounting a passenger jet fuselage on a spindle. The tailfin would be retained so the whole house could rotate like a wind vane. I thought it looked pretty cracked.

22. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

It seems to me that -- all else being equal -- the lift would be even greater because the air beneath the wing is basically motionless. The pressure difference between the top and bottom of an airplane wing is between two moving streams of air, but the house would have one moving stream over the top and still air underneath. But since the wind speed would be much lower than a 747 in flight, I'm not sure it would matter anyway.

23. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

And those puke baggies will come in handy during the opening parties.

24. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

can you imagine how much it would cost to replace the tires on her house?!

gives new meaning to 'mobile' home.

Good grief, can you imagine how much it would cost to paint that beast every so often? :eek: :eek: