Woman trampled while shopping...

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by krossfyter, Nov 29, 2003.

1. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Woman Knocked Unconscious While Shopping

ORANGE CITY, Fla. - A mob of shoppers rushing for a sale on DVD players trampled the first woman in line and knocked her unconscious as they scrambled for the shelves at a Wal-Mart Supercenter.

Patricia VanLester had her eye on a $29 DVD player, but when the siren blared at 6 a.m. Friday announcing the start to the post-Thanksgiving sale, the 41-year-old was knocked to the ground by the frenzy of shoppers behind her.

"She got pushed down, and they walked over her like a herd of elephants," said VanLester's sister, Linda Ellzey. "I told them, `Stop stepping on my sister! She's on the ground!'"

Ellzey said some shoppers tried to help VanLester, and one employee helped Ellzey reach her sister, but most people just continued their rush for deals.

"All they cared about was a stupid DVD player," she said Saturday.

Paramedics called to the store found VanLester unconscious on top of a DVD player, surrounded by shoppers seemingly oblivious to her, said Mark O'Keefe, a spokesman for EVAC Ambulance.

She was flown to Halifax Medical Center in Daytona Beach, where doctors told the family VanLester had a seizure after she was knocked down and would likely remain hospitalized through the weekend, Ellzey said. Hospital officials said Saturday they did not have any information on her condition.

"She's all black and blue," Ellzey said. "Patty doesn't remember anything. She still can't believe it all happened."

Ellzey said Wal-Mart officials called later Friday to ask about her sister, and the store apologized and offered to put a DVD player on hold for her.

Wal-Mart Stores spokeswoman Karen Burk said she had never heard of a such a melee during a sale.

"We are very disappointed this happened," Burk said. "We want her to come back as a shopper."

2. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

i wonder what dvd she was trying to aquire. Didn't a man get in a fight with a old lady over a furby a couple of years ago...

3. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

4. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

People ran to the door at the circuit city I went to. It was pretty brutal.

I got my DVD player though ;).

scem0

5. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Well scem0, that's natural selection.

I find it pretty ironic, "All they cared about was a stupid DVD player."

Well obviously they cared about a 'stupid dvd player' enough to go shopping at 6 am to get one.

6. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

I thought I heard a crunch. Atleast I got my DVD player.

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That is very sad, I hope that Patricia VanLester will be OK. Mob mentality is a weird thing. There mind was focused on the goal, just like a horse with blinders on. Wal-Mart should do more for her than just the DVD.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Re: Stand in front of a herd at a sale...

At least nobody yelled "Shoes 90% Off Sale in Aisle 10"...

Doesn't this happen quite a bit at that store that has the annual wedding dress sale?

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

They're comparing a DVD player to the hospitalization of a woman who had seizures after this incident. So yes, it was "just" a stupid DVD player. Its something they wanted, but they didn't think they'd risk hospitalization for it.

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

"We have all the best shopping in Central Florida." will be the next slogan for the Visit Central Florida campaign.

Of course, it could have happened anywhere, but we seem to have the majority of stupid things here. :( I doubt the people who trampled the woman, even now, realise (or care) what they've done.

It should be interesting to see how the news follows up on it here.

11. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

I am sure it is unimportant to the media if this person was killed, just another tragedy in the midst of thousands daily :(

12. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

One thing to know about the media...

it's all about RATINGS...

they could care less, one way or the other...

:rolleyes:

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Last night, it took very little time from the rest of the news. They showed a clip from the in-store camera of the people rushing into the store and said that the victim was in the hospital.

The report that retail sales were up took much longer in the newscast. :( Then again, so did some pseudo-news item about a holiday DisneyWorld feature.

14. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

My mother-in-law and wife stood in line at Best Buy last year early in the morning to buy a portable cd player for my daughter that was one of the morning specials. I asked them how much they saved thinking it must have been free. I mean, how much can a portable CD player cost and now you tell me you stood in line for an hour. She said it was $5 off.

I opened my wallet and gave my mother-in-law $20 and told her not to do that ever again. She didn't take the money.

This year, they said there wasn't much of a line, but they did save a bunch of money on a home theater system.

15. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The Best Buy in Porter Ranch (northwest of Los Angeles) had 500 people in line at 6am yesterday. Could the bargains be worth that much?

16. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Its not about the savings... It is a woman thing. My wife and her friend have made it an annual trip. 5am on the Friday after Thanksgiving. And my wife's friend hires a babysitter so she can go. She knows she isn't saving any money after she pays the babysitter. She just wants to go.... They enjoy it....

And on a funny note about Worst buy, a lady behind my wife at a checkout in Circuit city was at Worst buy at 6am for one of the great deals. Then she went to Circuit City across the street for some different things. Anyway, the car stereo she had waited in line for at Worst buy was the same price at Circuit City. However, it wasn't a sale price at Circuit City. It was the everyday price. :D

17. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I think its funny about the compensation: She gets a DVD player put aside so she can BUY it from them. Oh thanks. I wish Wal-Mart would let me buy stuff too. :rolleyes:

P-Worm

18. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

a few years back, a woman i know-- churchgoing, very nice, polite... punched an old woman in the face over a furby? it was one of the Hot Toys... maybe tickle-me-elmo... anyway ever since then, i don't do shopping that day, but occasionally i'll pop into walmart or the mall just to watch the fun...

people who do this sort of thing are crazy.

pnw

19. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Does that mean that the oblivious people were really waiting for her DVD player? :D

20. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

This is kinda besides the point, but...

If you're going to start an angry mob over something, at least make it over something good! They crushed this woman for a sub-par, $29 DVD player that wouldn't really do justice to ANY DVD more than likely. Really pathetic.

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Black friday morning shopping is a risky venture and a full-contact sport. Expecting it to be pleasant and safe is like going to the running of the bulls and not expecting someone to get hurt.

22. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The bulls are more friendly. :(

I've been out Friday, Saturday, and Sunday at a few stores and it's not been much worse than usual. The rude and unconcious are shopping. They drive their shopping carts as if each is a runaway. I saw one woman with a cart and child at the register, while she was about 30 feet away shopping with another child.

The news has yet to mention the trampled woman again.

23. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

i saw this earlier today. they should've gone shopping online.:p

24. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

25. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

oh this is so stupid - Wal-Mart should have done a little more to placate her....wouldn't be surprised if there was a lawsuit.

I've come to dislike the whole shopping frenzy myself. There's no point in it, especially if people get so intense.

Why are people out shopping....for Christmas, right? Where's the Christmas Spirit? This retail rugby is a sad commentary on what this whole season has become. We'll be forced to listen to Christmas songs for a whole month, told what we're supposed to buy....blah, blah, blah....

No scrooge here - I love Christmas, just this commercialization and over zealous marketing - save the most *here*. People need to think more about why they're buying the things and less about how much it costs.

One of my favorite gifts are always the ones I make myself, framed pictures or other personal touches. Knowing I plowed over the rest of the shoppers to get a DVD would not make me feel good about giving the gift to someone.

'Yeah honey, you wouldn't believe what I had to go through to get this DVD.....' :rolleyes:

Time for a new thread on the best gifts

D