Woman Won't Sue Wendy's for Alleged Finger

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by craigdawg, Apr 13, 2005.

1. craigdawg macrumors 6502

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

If it does come out that it was all a fraud, the question becomes, who's finger is it? [​IMG]

3. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Gross!!! :eek:

The police better check her children's fingers!

4. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Wendy's has offered 50k to find out.
    My guess that is why she decided to not press the lawsuit.

5. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

A local newspaper at the weekend had a report that the police had searched her house. Not that that means it was a fraud ... just an interesting data point.

6. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

She will have nightmares with a finger pointing at her... :D

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Having worked for a while in hospitality I've quite often wanted to give some of the bad customers the finger, but generally I'm a little more subtle...

8. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I agree completely. Wendy's has made it clear that they intend to find out the source of the finger... and I'll bet it's someone she knows. She probably figures that by dropping the lawsuit, they'll let it slide before too much longer.

Still, lawsuit-happy people like her should basically be told to go away... I wouldn't want her visiting a restaurant that I owned.

9. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Funny. Wendy's offers a $50,000 reward for "finger" tips......

10. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Word on the street is that the finget belongs to her dead aunt, and she put it in there. She has a history of litigation against large companies and this may just be another ploy.

11. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Not going to happen. The publicity has cost Wendy's more than lawsuit would have. They are loaded for bear on this one. They will find out where the finger came from. There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. Someone will suffer. If the finger was planted by someone in the store expect criminal charges. Likewise if its the woman. If it was a supplier who did it through carelessness they will be pilloried have all their contracts canceled(The employee who lost the finger into the mix might be compensated somehow though.)

If I had a restaurant there would be a prominent sign at the entrance saying that dumbasses will be charged an extra $50 service fee. They would get nothing potentially undercooked. They would get nothing hot. They would get all beverages in a sippy cup. All food would be precut, perhaps blended.

Dumbasses would be defined as anyone who has filed more than 2 lawsuits either as a plaintiff or plaintiff's attorney. It would also be anyone overtly rude, boorish or drunk.

12. evilernie macrumors 6502

evilernie

Investigators In Wendy's Finger Case Check Out Clue

SAN JOSE, Calif. -- Police in California say they're checking out a possible lead in the case involving an allegedly contaminated bowl of Wendy's chili.

San Jose police are investigating the case of a woman who lost part of her finger in a leopard attack. The woman, who has several exotic animals, reportedly got the finger back in a bag of ice, after doctors couldn't re-attach it. She lives in a town about 45 miles north of Las Vegas.

A month after that attack, a Las Vegas woman reported biting into a human finger while eating a bowl of Wendy's chili.

An animal sanctuary employee called a Wendy's hot line Tuesday to suggest the finger might be linked to the February leopard attack.

Wendy's has maintained the finger allegedly found in the chili had not been cooked, and that it didn't enter the supply chain as part of its ingredients.

None of the employees at the San Jose store had lost any fingers, and no suppliers of Wendy's ingredients reported any hand or finger injuries, the company said.

Meanwhile, the woman who claimed she scooped up the human finger along with her chili at a Wendy's restaurant has decided not to sue.

Anna Ayala dropped her claim because it "has caused her great emotional distress and continues to be difficult emotionally," said her attorney, Jeffrey Janoff.

Ayala, 39, claimed she found the 1½-inch long fingertip on March 22 while dining at a Wendy's restaurant in San Jose. She later filed a claim with the franchise owner, Fresno-based JEM Management Corp., which her attorney had said was the first step before filing a lawsuit.

Court records show Ayala has a history of making legal claims against corporations, including a former employer, General Motors and a fast-food restaurant. She acknowledged receiving a settlement for medical costs a year ago after claiming that her daughter was sickened after eating at a Las Vegas restaurant.

Phone calls to Ayala's house went unanswered Tuesday. Investigators searched her Las Vegas home last week as part of their investigation into how a finger ended up in the chili.

Wendy's spokesman Denny Lynch declined to comment on Ayala's decision not to sue, but said a reward hot line to receive tips will remain open. Wendy's has offered $50,000 to the first person who can provide verifiable information that identifies the origin of the finger.

"It's very important to us to find out what really happened at the restaurant," Lynch said. "We will continue to fully cooperate with the police investigation."

The Santa Clara County coroner's office used a partial fingerprint to search for a match in an electronic database but came up empty. DNA testing is still being conducted on the finger.

13. craigdawg thread starter macrumors 6502

Leopard attack. LEOPARD ATTACK!?!?!? What a bizarre twist to this story.

14. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

evilernie, wouldn't DNA testing and fingerprinting tell us the identity of that person already ? My guess is that the police KNOW who that person is but we are kept in the dark for now.

I believe it's what jimsowden stated, the lady's dead aunt!!! That's why she aint sueing!!!

15. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Pay me the $50K now...

...the lady got it from a relative! SHE planted it!

Will that be cash, check, or direct deposit? :)

16. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

No, having the DNA just lets you confirm that a body part belongs to a person whose DNA you ALSO have... you have to be able to compare them. If I left my DNA at a crime scene (say, an eyelash) and you found it, you'd have no way of knowing that it was MY eyelash unless you acquired a sample of my DNA and compared the two samples (from me, and from the eyelash). That's why Wendy's is offering a reward for info leading to the owner of the finger.

Just having the finger isn't enough.

17. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

clayjohanson, thanks for the info!

I feel like we're in a CSI Las Vegas episodes! Time to take some DNA testing from Anna Ayala's relatives (alive or dead)!!! I want to be that cute blond detective with the Southern accent.

18. dvdh macrumors 6502

dvdh

Here's the next question regarding DNA: If the finger did indeed come from her dead aunt (which for the case of this question, we will assume is a blood relative), would not the woman in question and the dead aunt share some genetic similarity would could link the finger back to her?

19. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Sort of what I thought when I first saw this story. Based on the info I read, I found it hard to beleve (I wanted to say hard to swallow :D ) since I once worked for Wendy's in the DC area.

20. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

i understand where you are coming from. Many think of big bucks when they find something wrong. This smelled worse than three day old fish to me.

21. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

You're quite welcome.

I want to DO that cute blond detective with the Southern accent. ;) (She was Class of '86 at Ravenscroft HS in Raleigh... I was Class of '86 at Sanderson HS in Raleigh, and lived about a mile from Ravenscroft at the time.)

22. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

That's a lot more iffy. If her aunt was her mother's sister, then you'd be able to match their mitochondrial DNA (since mitochondria are always passed down from mother to child, never from the father, and they would both be descended from the same woman). Otherwise, I think it would be harder to do.

23. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

As an openly Gay member, I would do the diving tech in CSi:Miami in a New York minute!

24. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

You and I watch just TOO much CSI... :D