women drivers

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Sep 9, 2005.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

...are they really worse?

when i got my license 25 years ago i remember the driver's ed teacher and the california dmv manual preaching to us newbie drivers how young men, including us 16 and 17 year olds like myself, were the worst drivers

experience has told me that he was right ;)

...so where did the prejudice against women drivers come from?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Statistically involved in far fewer accidents... not much else to say really.

3. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    Probably from male chauvinists who don't want to admit that they were horrible drivers in their teens. Similar to how people in my grandparents generation think that Chinese drivers are bad (and don't get me started on the fact that they call all asian people Chinese), it's just because they have a prejudice against them. In my opinion the worse drivers are those that drive big SUVs, talk on the phone, and expect others to get out of the way. But I've seen people of both sexes doing that.

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I have some vague recollection of research indicating that women are more likely to be involved in accidents related to cell phone use, but it could be exactly the opposite. Young men are definitely the worst drivers, though, in terms of how many accidents they get in.

5. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

it's always the same rule: everyone else on the road is a worse driver than you ;) :rolleyes: :D

6. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

men are more aggressive, that is probably the route cause of the increased accidents, if that was taken out of the equation they would probably be even

though from personal experience i seem to be nearly knocked off my bike just as much by reckless men as a do by women on their mobile chatting away and turing infrount of me expecting to suddenly cease to exist, SUV drivers are the worst, they suck.

7. keithpetey macrumors member

when you take a girl on a date, who drives?
    when your mom and dad go for a drive, who drives?
    men drive more than women

thats the main reason why men are involved in more accidents than women.

8. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Nope.

9. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

OMG..are some of you kidding me?? Ok ANYONE can wreck while talking on the phone if they are looking down--I ran through an entire front yard, hit a brick post mailbox and a huge bush before I knew what happened because I was on the phone. HOWEVER, that is an isolated incident. My ex claims I am a horrible driver but he has had more wrecks and almost died a few times too. So ridiculous. Anyone can be a bad driver--and I probably beep at more men drivers these days than women. One o fmy biggest pet peaves is a SLOW DRIVER! THose people hit more animals and cause more accidents than anyone.

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

You don't think all those statisticians and analysts would have taken that into account when calculating your insurance premiums?

11. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I'd love to see some evidence supporting that.

12. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Men take more risks behind the wheel, bottom line.

I think (and this indicates I am stating an opinion ;) ) that men and women are just as likely to wreck due to lack of attention, whereas men are siginificantly more likely to wreck than women due to agressive driving.

In my personal experience, female friends who are bad drivers don't pay attention, while male friends who are bad drivers think they're Mad Max...

...and they'd be wrong, because I'm Mad Max. ;) :rolleyes: :D

13. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

[​IMG]

14. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

Well most animals get the hell out of the way if they hear a person like me coming...I have WITNESSED some cars creeping by then all of sudden nail a squirrel, dog, and a cat because in those instances the animal didn't hear anything coming.

I just don't get SLOW drivers--I am talking ones that barely drive the speed limit. I get road rage because unlike them, I am actually trying to get somewhere in my car. THe only reason I drive is to GET SOMEWHERE and ON TIME. I am venting because I live in a small ass town that to go 5 miles takes about like 15minutes. ITS Ridiculous, and actually there was a guy training me this week and he was visiting from out of town of course. He was like WTF is up with this town's stop lights and drivers??? He said he could have eaten his lunch way before he made it back to work becuase of how slow everyone was driving.

15. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

I think men (especially young men) drive faster, take more risks, push their car's abilities and are generally more reckless that female drivers...

16. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

All that that tells me is you are an impatient and aggressive driver,your witnessing slow drivers hitting animals more often than those speeding makes no sense to me although I accept you witnessed it,many times I've witnessed the opposite.Hard as you may find this to believe you are not the most important person in the world and others have rights too.

17. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

What is that? a gas pump?

Man, looks like somebody forgot to get with the 21st century and install breakaway hoses at their gas station. :rolleyes:

BTW, I actually know somebody who did this, a coworker from my high school days. To this day he hasn't lived that down...

18. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

The best drivers are the type who think they can merge at the last second possible. It's even more pleasurable when they don't use their blinker.

I AM THE TYPE TO BOX YOU OUT. SO DON'T DRIVE NEAR JEEPS.

I know some very good woman drivers. Like men, there are always the lousy ones.

19. mkubal macrumors 6502a

Kinda like the dude next to me in traffic a couple years ago who was in his "souped up" (read: loud exhaust civic) car who was trying to impress me because I spent my money on a nice car instead of crappy car + new air filters, exhaust and obligatory rear wing. He jammed on the gas when the light turned green running into the car directly in front of him. Not sure what he was thinking, but I wonder how much of an idiot he felt like.

From my experience women tend to be less attentive when driving, but men are overly aggressive. Clearly the aggressiveness causes more accidents. But I have known men who are both inattentive and aggressive, which makes for the scariest driving experience ever. Coincidentally these people have gotten in the most accidents.

20. iGav macrumors G3

Some are... and some aren't. ;)

Likewise, I think we could all do without self-righteous, offensive and discriminatory twaddle such as the ad's from the likes of these.

21. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

I hardly consider myself an aggressive driver (not one accident in 10 years of driving): I consistently go ~5mph above the speed limit on highways, follow the limits on surface streets... and I would have to agree with the other guy. I've never seen anything more dangerous than a really slow driver in the left/fast lane of a highway... they change lanes slow, and interrupt the flow of traffic (not my flow, but the general flow of everyone else around them). I was taught in driver's ed that on the highway you need to match the flow of traffic around you, not the other way around... yes, that can mean if the flow is slower than you're used to or need to be going, that's what you should try to match... but that also means if everyone is going smoothly at 70ish mph, you also need to go alot faster than the 40-45mph that I've seen people driving.

22. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

And I have some vague recollection of research that indicated that women were involved in more minor accidents (scratches and small dents) but when men had accidents, they had ACCIDENTS.

23. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

Don't know any relevant statistics that cover all drivers. However, I know good women drivers and bad women drivers. My mom has never been in an accident while driving and is very cautious. Two of my previous girlfriends were bad though.

One girlfriend from my college days used to drive on the wrong side of the road sometimes. I guess she just forgot which side to drive on, I dunno. She wasn't an agressive driver or anything, just somewhat clueless about it - she was always relaxed and composed though. Weird.

24. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Annoying slow drivers may well be but how do they cause "accidents" a driver is responible for their driving there are all sorts of possible situations that arise which may be not the norm,you need to drive in a fashion that allows for evasive action or speed increase decrease at the appropriate time assuming everyone is driving as you expect is a good way to end up dead.

25. iGav macrumors G3

I totally agree... doing 40-45 in a 70 zone (in clear and safe conditions of course) IS driving without due care and attention, and is just a bigger danger as speeding.

Perhaps my greatest peeve are drivers that sit in the middle lane usually bang on 70, regardless of whether the inside lane is empty. Poor lane discipline is a significant safety issue, greater than speeding.