Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amoda

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
I would look on craigslist/Kijiji first. I just picked up a 2-month old 13" MBA ultimate (i7, 256GB) for $1,000.

amoda

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
Nope, came with a receipt. Also called Apple to change ownership and it was under his name.

amoda

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
Aha, thanks! But I didn't mean to just show off a good deal ;-).

At least where I am, NS, Canada, there's been a ton of MBAs hitting the used market. Several are a few months old at the most, and are regularly anywhere from $2-400 off new (and you save the taxes on top of that). Every now and then you get a "super deal" like the one I got.

I don't know why but macs don't seem to be holding value as they used to. Probably because as more people buy macs the supply in the used market is increasing.

This trend, at least to me, is making Apple refurbished seem like a much worse deal. I could purchase Apple Care and still end up under the pre-tax cost of a refurbished i7 air.

Best of luck to the OP!

Last edited:

raftr

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
Ireland
I don't know why but macs don't seem to be holding value as they used to. Probably because as more people buy macs the supply in the used market is increasing.

They still hold their value, the first 10-30% from new would always get shaved off first.

nebulos

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
Nope, came with a receipt. Also called Apple to change ownership and it was under his name.

i was thinking about this again; this might have perfectly legit. but, i suppose there are ways to do this with a receipt and everything; the computer could have been purchased with a bogus card, for example.

after i initially read your post, i looked at Clist and saw a bunch of MBAs. some looked legit, though not necessarily great deals. others were clearly bogus. and there might have been some on there that were genuine good deals.

personally, buying something so expensive from a stranger on Clist is probably something i would never do. others, however, do have good luck with it.

i do go by the old rule that if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. just be careful.

Last edited:

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
Been eyeing the refurb store every day. Nothing yet. Anyone else seen one pop up? (It'd probably be gone in minutes anyway....just curious)

sebseb81

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2010
2011 MBA refurb is now available.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-11-17 at 3.54.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-11-17 at 3.54.13 PM.png
    283.3 KB · Views: 63
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.