wondering if there was a program that........

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by forthebrave, Feb 10, 2005.

1. forthebrave macrumors regular

Mar 3, 2004
    can check your HD for the largest files~ sometimes I download things and I think that I threw them away but I notice that they are hidden in my HD somewhere. I just want to see what's taking up all my HD SPACE so I can throuw unwanted files away. Thanks!
  2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    It's called 'Find' and comes for free on your Mac... :rolleyes:

When in Finder, key Apple-F, and just choose find file size...
  3. forthebrave thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 3, 2004
    thanks! still new to macs... ur... as you can tell!!
  4. munkle macrumors 68030

Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    Apart from Finder, there's Omni DiskSweeper, which will highlight the biggest files on your HD and specify which ones are used by the system to prevent you from deleting anything crucial.

I'm pretty sure there is a similar freeware app, perhaps somebody else could point you to it.
  5. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

Sep 23, 2003
    London, England

was just about to suggest the same... :D
  6. mduser63 macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I use a freeware program called WhatSize. It shows you the size of all the files and folders on your hard drive, sorted by size. It makes it really easy to find big files that you don't really need.
  7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Don't go and do what one client did: "I wanted to see what was on my drive and I found all these big files with names I didn't recognize so I trashed them"

Of course, they had booted from 9.0 and had just thrown out the major portion of OS X (which files are not conveniently hidden when you boot from 9).

If you see files and folders you don't recognize, resist the temptation to clean up or rename them, as you may lobotomize your OS.