Wondrous Day in the Land of Me

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ColoJohnBoy, Mar 13, 2005.

1. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

Mar 10, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    After all the bitch-posting I did about the shipping delay on my new 15" PowerBook, I suppose I owe all of y'all an update. I did receive my PowerBook sooner than expected. More specifically, they'd delayed shipment from February 22 to February 28; It shipped overnight and arrived on the 18th :)

My setup is as follows:
    15" 1.67 GHz G4 PowerBook
    1.5 GB RAM (I ordered a 1 GB stick from I don't remember where. It was only $180 with shipping, though. Kingston brand. Kicks ass.)
    100 GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
    128 MB Graphics Chip

This thing kicks ass. I've been playing around, testing the RAM, the backlit keyboard, everything. At one point I had Photoshop, iPhoto, Safari, Mail, iCaht, iTunes, and Azureus open. The sucker didn't even burp. It seemed like it was prancing prettily about on a spring morning. When I play the Sims (Including all the expansion packs) there isn't a single delay; coming from a 12" PowerBook with the 32 MB nVidia chip, this is huge. My roommate says when I use the backlit keyboard, keeping the room completely dark, with the light radiating up, I look evil, like the preacher in Poltergeist II. I don't know about that, but it sounds pretty damn cool.
    When the 15" aluminum PowerBooks came out they seemed huge compared to the TiBooks. Having used this for a few weeks now, that perception has completely disappeared. While I don't use the two-fingered scrolling, the only problem I have had is related to the trackpad. Whenever I wake the comoputer from sleep, the trackpad takes anywhere from 10-30 seconds to work properly; until then it's jumpy and the cursor barely moves. It sounds, though, like part of the 10.3.9 update will fix that.

Anyway, I apologize for any errors in grammar. This sucker is awesome!

P.S. - I figured out a name for him: Albert Camus. Bear in mind my other Macs have been named Orson Welles, Bernard Shaw, and Samuel Beckett, respectively. :D
  2. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

May 8, 2004
    I Live Where I Live
    Nice, Glad to here your happy :)

(My mac is called The Beast ;) )