Won't boot.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by roddenshaw, Feb 1, 2007.

1. roddenshaw macrumors 6502

Jun 5, 2006
    I apologise for the basic nature of this question - I've only had my Mac for 6 months and I've never had to deal with a boot problem...

I turned on my MacBook this morning and was greeted by a folder icon with a question mark in the middle of it. I presume that this means my computer can't find a bootable partition and I'm rather hoping that I don't have a problem with my hard drive!

For some reason the machine seems to be paying more attention to the CD ROM drive than the HD when trying to boot. Also, I am unable to eject the CD in order to try the install CD instead.

I didn't have enough time to do much troubleshooting, and I'm not going to have internet access when I get home this evening (the Mac was my last working computer after I dismantled my Vaio!), so any ideas as to what the problem could be or how I could go about diagnosing/fixing it would be very, very welcome.

Thanks guys (and girls)!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    Sounds like your hard drive has dies. The Folder with a ? means that the EFI Boot loader can't find a valid System folder to boot from. Try booting from the restore DVD and see if the harddrive is available there. If not take it back to an Apple Store for repair.
  3. roddenshaw thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 5, 2006
    Damn, that's what I was afraid of.

Any ideas how I would get the CD that's currently in the drive to eject, since it doesn't seem to want to?

(How odd to get a reply from a fellow Scot in London).

4. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Aug 27, 2003
    Hold the mouse button down when you turn the computer on.